Outgoing mail

Reaction score
Hi,

Having previously used just one PC at home using Tiscali Broadband, (not wireless), the purchase of a new iMac at Christmas prompted me to change my provider to Virgin, including TV, phone and wireless broadband to enable me to work with both my PC and iMac on the same network.

However, I have run into a couple of problems, firstly with the wireless connection to the iMac (signal very strong, but connection seems to drop off when accessing some websites which I have currently solved by connecting an ethernet cable to the imac), and more importantly with my outgoing email, using my email address initially provided by Tiscali, which I would like to keep. There is no problem with receiving emails, but I am unable to send any from my email account.

I would be grateful if someone could give me a bit of straightforward advice, as I am not particularly great with the technical aspects of wireless networking.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
Well it's hard to give this kind of advice over the Internet but what it sounds like is your router is the problem. If your get better signal wired then it's not the connection itself but rather your wireless connection device. There could be numerous thigs causing this but I would say that you are either too far away from the router, you need to make sure the router is capable of transferring the strength signal for your connection and that you have forwarded any ports needed.

As far as the outgoing mail goes, that sounds like an issue with your outgoing server I information. If your using mail to get hot accounts synced to your computer you need to call the provider of your email and ask then what there POP or IMAP server information is. Hope that helps some.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
Tiscali dont allow relaying, i.e. sending mail using their smtp server (smtp.tiscali.co.uk)via a different isp. You will have to use your virgin server details to send mail i.e smtp.virgin.net along with your virgin login details.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, looks like I will have to use my Virgin email address. In relation to the router, it is actually sitting right beside the iMac and shows full signal strength. The Virgin installer had serious issues getting the iMac to work at all with the router and indeed actually changed the original router to see if that helped. It didn't. I have no problem picking up the router from my PS3 which is on the other side of the room.

Thanks anyway for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.