Cannot download any files on iMac

Reaction score
Hi,

I own an iMac which has been working perfectly fine over the past year. However, last night I tried downloading a file and it failed.

I proceeded to try other websites and other files, but still failed.

Basically, when I click on a "download" button, the link would begin loading and it'll just go back to the same page. And that downloader window that would usually launch, does not.

No files is appearing in my "downloads" folder either. I have tried using Google Chrome instead of Safari, still does not work.

Please help! What should I do?

C

chas_m

Lots and lots and lots of possibilities, but at least you already tried another browser (thanks, that helps).

Your model and OS version would be helpful, as well as telling us how much free space you have on the hard drive.

Your download window may indeed still be opening, but behind the main browser window so you can't see it. You can call it up manually at any time through the menu options in most browsers (or the "downloading" icon to the far right of the Google search bar in the latest version of Safari). Do any recent download file names appear?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Not using a Download Manager such as Speed Download by chance?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.