Program to create Windows Media Files?

Reaction score
I need to create an audio file and the receiver needs it in Windows Media format. What is a good Mac program, hopefully free, that will do that? I also have an iPad and iPhone so if necessary an app for either device that will do this will work also.
Thanks.

C

chas_m

Nothing free that I know of.

It's odd that the receiver can ONLY accept an audio file in WMA format when that is such a non-standard, and any Windows PC can also play (to name a few) WAV, MP3 and AIF files among many others. Ah well.

Hold on, found something for you, and it's free! I looked into this a bit more and found that a tool I was already using for conversions, MediaHuman Audio Converter can convert files from most common formats to WMA. I just tested it with an MP3 file and it worked fine. There ya go, we both learn something! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I think the latest version of Audacity can do that, but I am just downloading the latest version and its plugins to test it out......

Yes, it makes WMA files no problem

Download the latest version of Audacity here (version 1.3.14) and install

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/beta_mac

Download the LAME MP3 library here are copy the file libmp3lame.dylib into the Audacity folder in Applications
http://lame1.buanzo.com.ar/Lame_Library_v3.98.2_for_Audacity_on_OSX.zip

Download the FFMPEG library here and copy the folder FFmpeg_v0.6.2_for_Audacity_on_OSX into the Audacity folder in Applications
http://lame1.buanzo.com.ar/FFmpeg_v0.6.2_for_Audacity_on_OSX.zip

Launch Audacity and go to Preferences > Librarie. You will need to browse and locate the two libraries you copied into the Audacity folder, once done you can open mp3's etc and export them as Windows Media Audio

OP
M
Reaction score
The person that needs this file is definitely not computer savvy and I sent it in another format earlier. I can't remember which format it was but she can't play it so she stated she knows she can play Windows Media format so to send that. Now that I'm thinking about it though she must have Windows Media Player since she has windows. I know as I read that Windows Media Player will play wav, mp3, aif and others. Are there any other audio recording programs for the Mac that I should look at that will play these other formats that Windows Media Player will play?
In the mean time though I'm going to give Audacity a try using the links you provided.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 500GB OS10.7.2 i5, 4G 32GB iPod Touch
The file is a little bit prehistoric, but if it works with your mac, then more power to ya :D

It's a Mac version of Windows Media Player. Surely, you'd be able to make a Windows Media file out of it :)

Old Version of Windows Media Player for Mac Download - OldApps.com

Make sure you get 9, because I think 7 is power pc, not intel based.

C

chas_m

Sorry, is my previous post not showing up for anyone but me or something? I gave you the link to a FREE program that converts any audio format you want into WMA without having to do all the folderol that installing Audacity (which is still buggy as a no-pest strip) requires.

Did I miss something here?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Got to agree with chas...

From the website that chas referred you to:

MediaHuman Audio Converter is a freeware application for Mac OS X and Windows. It can help you in case you need to convert your music in WMA, MP3, AAC, WAV, FLAC, OGG, AIFF or Apple Loseless format. This software was designed especially to simplify as much as possible the process of audio conversion. At the same time, it gives you an opportunity to adapt it to your needs. That's why the user interface is simple, intuitive and very easy to understand. It doesn't contain anything superfluous.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'll give MediaHuman another try. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong but I was unable to get it to work which is why I later gave Audacity a try. I have a Linux machine so have some knowledge of Audacity from Linux but I believe from what you say that MediaHuman is a much better option. For some reason it just didn't work. I'm sure I did something wrong with the install so I'm going to start over and try it again and see if I can get it to work this time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 500GB OS10.7.2 i5, 4G 32GB iPod Touch
Sorry, is my previous post not showing up for anyone but me or something? I gave you the link to a FREE program that converts any audio format you want into WMA without having to do all the folderol that installing Audacity (which is still buggy as a no-pest strip) requires.

Did I miss something here?

Loud and clear, but if the user happens to be a switcher, sometimes it's better using the "good old reliable" versus having to sit down for an hour and figure out a new program. Plus, I'd expect a windows based program to be good at making windows media files. Ultimately, it's up to the topic poster to choose the program he/she likes, and having options available isn't a bad thing.

I wasn't criticizing your post, in fact, didn't even mention it before, but I still wanted to help. Sorry if I offended you somehow...

C

chas_m

No problem, I was just bewildered that people kept offering ever-more-elaborate suggestions when a simple solution was already advanced.

markwco, I'm not sure what you mean by not getting it to work. Can you be more specific? There's a button at the top of the program (I've highlighted it for you in this screenshot). Set it to WMA. Then drop the file you want converted into the main window.

Click on the file you dragged into the main window to select it (you have to do this because the program is set up to handle batches so it wants to know which one to do even if there's only one) and press the little "two arrows/logo" button next to "WMA." That should do the trick. The converted file will be saved next to the original one in the same directory.

OP
M
Reaction score
I think I did something wrong. I"m going to start over and try reinstalling it and using the button you highlighted above. It definitely was 'user error' and I'll give it another try when I get back to the office on Friday with the directions you just gave.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.