Transferring files from PC to Mac

Reaction score
Hi I just bought a new macbook pro and tried to use the Migration Assistant but it did not pick up my PC on the network. Does my PC have to have Migration Assistant on it as well to do the transfer? Does this transfer work wirelessly or do the computers have to be connected?

Are there any other alternatives to Migration Assistant? I am mainly transferring Office docs, iTunes library and pictures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Migration Assistant only works from one Mac to another Mac. If you want to transfer files from your Windows PC then the way I like to do it is use an external hard drive to copy all your Windows files over to it and then copy them over to your Mac.

As for iTunes you can try this method from MacWorld Move an iTunes library from a Windows PC to a Mac | Macworld I haven't tried it myself but MacWorld is usually pretty knowledgable so it will most likely work.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Migration Assistant can be used to transfer your files from a PC to your Mac. See the following Apple KB article and download the free Windows PC migration tool from Apple.

LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
The Migration Assistant can be used to transfer your files from a PC to your Mac. See the following Apple KB article and download the free Windows PC migration tool from Apple.

LINK
Is this a new feature in Lion or has it always been there? I'm still using Snow Leopard BTW.

Kiran1, sorry about the wrong information. This is news to me also. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 15" MBP, OSx 10.8.4, Ipad 64g (2012), Iphone 4S, Ipod Nano
I just got my MacBook, I didn't even mess with the migrate assistant because my network connection isnt that great, I used an external hard drive and it worked great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I just got my MacBook, I didn't even mess with the migrate assistant because my network connection isnt that great, I used an external hard drive and it worked great.

You can simply plug an ethernet cable between the devices. It works great, I just did it (again) this morning O:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.