Help ..Mac Pro First Gen. Logic Board

Reaction score
So i troubleshooted my mac and came to the conclusion that my logic board doesnt work anymore. ( it was a good run 6 years ) my friend just told me that they dont make the logic board for the first gen anymore. i have quad.core . i was wondering , where do i go from here. i dont want to buy a Refurbished logic board cause it only comes with 90 day warrantty.

can i use the newer gen. mac pro logic board with my first gen quad core processor?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Are you absolutely sure the logic board is bad?

At this point I'm of course not sure what the problem is (since you didn't say)...and what sort of testing/troubleshooting you have done so far. But if you're REALLY sure it is the logic board...what sort of prices are you seeing for a replacement logic board?

The reason why I ask is...first gen. Mac Pros are selling for around $500-$600 on e-Bay. So if the replacement logic board is close to that (or even half of that)...maybe just purchasing another exact unit would be a better choice.

Of course you could apply the same $$$ towards something newer if that works as well.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
K
Reaction score
Are you absolutely sure the logic board is bad?

At this point I'm of course not sure what the problem is (since you didn't say)...and what sort of testing/troubleshooting you have done so far. But if you're REALLY sure it is the logic board...what sort of prices are you seeing for a replacement logic board?

The reason why I ask is...first gen. Mac Pros are selling for around $500-$600 on e-Bay. So if the replacement logic board is close to that (or even half of that)...maybe just purchasing another exact unit would be a better choice.

Of course you could apply the same $$$ towards something newer if that works as well.

- Nick

before i posted a thread here i posted this.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...mac-pro-10-4-11-wont-boot-up.html#post1354869

OP
K
Reaction score
thanks, if it is the logic board then i think this would be a great time to upgrade .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And what dud you mean about the Mac Pro graphics card? Cards must be manufactured as Mac Pro or flashed PC cards. PC cards will not work natively. Some graphics cards have no cables to the mobo, some have one and the more upmarket later model cards have two such cables.

Suggestion was to check the cables out. Fair bit of heat in there can make them brittle and liable to fail.

OP
K
Reaction score
And what dud you mean about the Mac Pro graphics card? Cards must be manufactured as Mac Pro or flashed PC cards. PC cards will not work natively. Some graphics cards have no cables to the mobo, some have one and the more upmarket later model cards have two such cables.

Suggestion was to check the cables out. Fair bit of heat in there can make them brittle and liable to fail.

I took out my pci express card and put I in my friends pc computer which is also running pci express and the video card is working fine..

Quick question.. On a pc computer does
The videos card start workin right away or does it stat working when it true to load the os?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No answer it should not unless it is a very very rare PC/Mac compatible card. Graphics should commence within five seconds of booting.

OP
K
Reaction score
No answer it should not unless it is a very very rare PC/Mac compatible card. Graphics should commence within five seconds of booting.

took my graphics card and up it in my friends pc (hes running pci-e same as my card) and the graphics card worked. i replaced the mother board to find that on the old one the cpu slot was not working. but even with the new board.. nothing.. same problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.