• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Converting Videos to Songs

Reaction score
When I add a video to a playlist, it interrupts the qeue; after a video finishes playing, no other songs play.

So, is there a way to copy a video and transform the copy into a "normal song" file - one that streams music without a video?

Thanks.

C

chas_m

A clue as to what program, machine and OS you're talking about here would be useful ...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I am going to assume here that we are talking about iTunes and any relatively modern Mac. If I am wrong ignore the rest of this post.

If I understand your question correctly you have a music video file and want to extract the audio so that it essentially becomes a regular song file..

1. My first choice for this would probably be a program called Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows. It handles a wide variety of video files. It has controls like a tape based editor. Open the file, use keyboard shortcuts to mark the beginning and end of your music then pick export Audio from the file menu.

2. You can also do the same with QuickTime Player. I just can never remember how to invoke edit mode to select the part you want.

Edit: Found this description which might help http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4024If you want to export the entire song QuickTime Player says to do it this way:

QuickTime Player gives you the option of exporting and sharing only the audio portion of your video. To export only the audio portion of your video, open your video in QuickTime Player. Choose Export from the File menu. Type a name in the “Export As” field. Then from the Format pop-up menu, choose “Audio Only” and click Export.

Reaction score
When I add a video to a playlist, it interrupts the qeue; after a video finishes playing, no other songs play.

So, is there a way to copy a video and transform the copy into a "normal song" file - one that streams music without a video?

Thanks.

The following are 6 such tools that can rip audio from video. Only tools that are free are included. Although Windows only software dominates the list, you’ll both find both cross-platform, as well as web based software among them. Check it out.

1. Pazera Audio Extractor
2. Oxelon Media Converter
3. Any Audio Converter
4. AoA Audio Extractor
5. Audacity
6. iExtractMP3

Reaction score
Well I have used Oxelon Media Converter and AoA Audio Extractor, they really give good out put apart from that Xillisoft also is a good opting to work with audio and video.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.