something like gimp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" i5 iMac - Lion
I came from the PC world, and used Gimp. Loved it.

Tried it on my mac. Totally sucks.

Only piece of software I have run where I see things lag. Totally unusable in my opinion.

So I see some other options out there, but being new, it's hard to guess what is good and what is not good. I just want generally the same functionality that gimp gives if possible, or darn close.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Paul

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Assuming you're not averse to purchasing a functional equivalent, I'd recommend Pixelmator. You can pick it up from the Mac App Store, or if you want a free trial, you can get it from their site:

Pixelmator

It's not quite as powerful as Photoshop, but it gets a little better with each subsequent release.

OP
Arbo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" i5 iMac - Lion
That looks nice. I am downloading the trial to check it out. I have no problem buying software that does what it is supposed to do. ;) And so far it seems there is some real nice stuff out there for Mac that is FAR more reasonably priced than stuff for windows.

Reaction score
It depends on what you were using Gimp for.

We all know about Photoshop as a paid alternative, and some Apple-minded folk will be quick to recommend Aperture. This is basically Apple's in-house alternative to Photoshop.

Graphic Converter is a good, simple, inexpensive shareware picture editor. It isn't as powerful as Photoshop Elements, and you certainly won't want it if you are into layered images, but if you need to deal with multiple formats, it may be worth checking out.

I agree about Gimp not working well on OS X. Some of my Windows buddies recommended it to me years ago. I've tried several versions of it over the years and have never been impressed with the Mac builds.

OP
Arbo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" i5 iMac - Lion
Yeah, I was really shocked when I ran gimp on the mac. I do have xp running in parallels, so if need be, I can always shift over there for gimp. But I'd like to replace all that stuff so I have to shift over less and less.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Another vote for Pixelmator. You can't beat it for the price and ease of use. As far as the GIMP goes... it's a great app for Linux. :)

C

chas_m

We all know about Photoshop as a paid alternative, and some Apple-minded folk will be quick to recommend Aperture. This is basically Apple's in-house alternative to Photoshop.

Yeah, sorry, no.

Aperture is in NO way, shape or form intended as an alternative to Photoshop. I'm sure you meant to say Lightroom there.

Good point on GraphicConverter, it's been kind of out-classed nowadays by many similar programs, but it is still a powerhouse of solid features (albeit the interface SERIOUSLY needs to come into the 21st century!!).

OP
Arbo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" i5 iMac - Lion
Well I have played with pixelmator a bit, and it sure seems to do most of what I need, so time to go pay the money. Thanks for the input.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well I have played with pixelmator a bit, and it sure seems to do most of what I need, so time to go pay the money. Thanks for the input.

Do yourself a favor and purchase it through the Mac App Store. This way, your updates will be automated and Apple keeps track of the licensing. It's much better than having to worry about your receipt and serial number.

OP
Arbo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" i5 iMac - Lion
Thanks. Just did. And saw there was a big pile of 'training' video's for it for like 5 bucks, so I got that too, figure it couldn't hurt.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.