• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help Need an External Hard Drive For my Movies

Reaction score
Hello All,
Hoping someone out there can recommend a descent external hard drive for me. I am not very computer literte, but I just made my first I movie, and used quite a bit of the editing features. (Thanks to The missing manual series, book)

Anyways , I have it figured out on transfering all of our old VHS movies, the problem I will obviously have is storage. I want to save them on the computer and I thought the best way to do that was an external hard drive.

I have an Imac 10.6.8 , with a processor 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 duo, Memory 4GB 1067 Mhz DDr3 (I dont know what all that means?) I know I have 1 terabite of storage.

But, obviously want a stand alone hard drive unit to save all the movies to.
I looked online and it is very overwhelming, I just have no idea which one to choose. I am thinking 2TB size would be fine for this? And I was hoping to spend no more than $200.00-$250.00.

Hope one of you more experienced users out there can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just about any good quality external hard drive of large capacity will be OK. I would look around locally in stores that carry computer accessories such as Best Buy, Fry's, Staples, etc. Try to find a 2 TB drive that has a firewire 800 connector in addition to USB. That will be faster. Your iMac has a firewire 800 port.

C

chas_m

You can expect the FW800 equipped HDs to be a bit more expensive than the USB 2.0 only ones, but I **promise** you the vastly faster speed will be worth the change.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you, i will definetley make sure what ever one I get has the Firewire output.
But what about a trustworthy dependable model and manufacturer? Western Digital, and Iomega brands fall in line with my budget, but there are some pretty sketchy reviews on them out there. I just dont want all my hard work of transfering these old VHS home movies lost because I bought an inferior brand Ext. drive.
Thanks .
Jim

C

chas_m

I've always like Hitachi best, but really there is no drive manufacturer out there making junk. There's just an ever-changing "consensus" on which ones are "the best" until the next round of mergers, acquisitions and startups changes the rules of "what's best."

Buy a name-brand drive with a good warranty and BACK IT UP. That's your only real insurance policy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.