Iphone wont charge

Reaction score
Have an iPhone 4 and when I plug it in, it says charger dont compatible or something to that extent. Ive replaced the cord twice and it still does not want to charge. What do I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
Have you done a reset on the phone?

Hold down the power and home button until the screen shows the Apple logo, and then release.

OP
J
Reaction score
Nope didnt work.... Says chargine is not supported with this accessory! Ive been using this cord for months never had a problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
Is it an Apple cord, or an aftermarket?

And are you charging from a wall plug or from a USB port?

OP
J
Reaction score
Cord is an Apple suggested aftermarket from the Verizon store. Using a plug from a android phone due to the Apple factory never worked!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple suggested aftermarket? I didn't think that Apple recommended any 30 pin connector other than their own.

I would take a good look at the cord for damage to the contacts. The phone is registering it being plugged in (hence the message) but not receiving power from it.

Did you purchase the phone second hand?

(On an entirely different note, if the phone is less than a year old, Apple will replace the wall plug for free.)

OP
J
Reaction score
All I know is what the Verizon store told me. Ill look at the cord, see if I see anything. I bought the phone brand new in August.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. So there is some good news there. If you bought the phone new in August then you're still covered under warranty. The Apple cord, that came with the phone, should be replaced for free.

OP
J
Reaction score
Well I have a genius bar appointment scheduled in an hour, we will see what they say

C

chas_m

No disrespect intended, but several aspects of this story seem fishy.

1. Nobody employed by Apple would EVER recommend a third-party plug. Well, nobody STILL employed by Apple anyway ...

2. I'm unclear on what happened to the original wall charger that came with iPhone originally. Not the cord -- the actual charger. You said the "original cord" didn't work but it actually sounds to me like the charger may be the problem (sporadically defective).

OP
J
Reaction score
1. the Verizon store said it was an Apple recommended cord, not Apple
2. The factory wall charger never worked to begin with....

Went to Apple last nite, got a new cord, charged the phone no problem. This morning the phones used 50% of the battery in 3 hours with hardly any usage of the phone and now the replacement cord will not work, phone keeps chirping when plugged in

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Go back to the apple store and get a replacement iphone. sounds like you have a bad dock connector and or battery.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.