Limiting Time Machine Backup Size

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently using a 2TB TC to back up my MBP and store other files, but I feel as if the backups are taking too much room (+700GB). Is it possible to limit the size of these backup files, or should I just start backing up on a separate external HD connected to the TC? I would prefer having my backups on the TC...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That depends on what you wish to backup. I like to backup everything including any VMs that I have running. Some folks only backup data such as documents, photos, music, etc. It depends on what you can live with.

Otherwise keep your TM backup separate from your other usage. In other words, have another external drive handy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" i5 iMac - Lion
I don't know what a TC or MBP is (new to macs). But I picked up a 2T external today, and just partitioned it in half, so is used for time machine, the other to store away files. I figured from what I heard time machine would keep going until it filled a space, so I just limited it's 'space'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
My time machines works too hard. A backup every 1hr. He needs a vacation :)
I wish we could switch it to 1 or 2 backups a day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" i5 iMac - Lion
Yeah, if there is a way to set it to less than every hour, I have missed that bit. I would like to, as that is far too often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" i5 iMac - Lion
I found the following information regarding this issue.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1505050?start=0&tstart=0

It is possible to easily change the interval via the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)

Enter this code (where nnnn is your desired interval, in seconds)
sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.backupd-auto StartInterval -int nnnn

You will be prompted for a password. Enter your password, hit return, and restart time machine (just turn it on and off). That should do it.

To reset it, do that command using the number 3600.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My time machines works too hard. A backup every 1hr. He needs a vacation :)
I wish we could switch it to 1 or 2 backups a day.

Time Machine Scheduler: LINK By the way, it's free. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
Thanks Chscag I will check that out!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.