Host name issue

Reaction score
My brother just got a new iMac and set it up. Everything was going well. He has a wireless router in that he is ethernet too from the iMac. What started happening is when he reboots, he get's a message on startup that the Host Name Mark's iMac already exists and this iMac has been renamed to ark's iMac (2) and if he reboots again it is then Mark's iMac (3) and so on. The he loses his internet connect on all the devices in the house. I told him to go into System Preferences / Sharing and rename it to something else and reboot.

He does that and the new name comes up with the same above issue. iMac or router problem?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try resetting the router first. Usually you can do that with a paper clip straightened out and fitted into the reset hole. Some routers have a reset button instead.

Also take a look at his System Preferences, Network, Network Name. You may have to clear that out first and then set things up again. Also make sure the router is broadcasting the network name.

OP
M
Reaction score
Try resetting the router first. Usually you can do that with a paper clip straightened out and fitted into the reset hole. Some routers have a reset button instead.

Also take a look at his System Preferences, Network, Network Name. You may have to clear that out first and then set things up again. Also make sure the router is broadcasting the network name.

Thanks for the reply. I had him try all of that already. He went out and picked up a Apple Extreme and everything is working great now. I told him he had a router issue and might want to look at a Apple Extreme. So he's good!

Thanks again..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.