Im doing some research...

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Im trying to do some.....uh......."research"? Idk what to call it......probably a project. :s

Anyway , I want whoever has the time and wants to here to review ubuntu 11.10 , Os x Lion and Windows 7.The review can be whatever size you want , you can include details if you want or just point out the major differences etc. Just don't post anything like "windows and Linux suck! OS x is awesome!" i want reasons for your opinions , if you want to include those as well. I'll be posting this thread on an Ubuntu forum , Windows forum and mac forum and then i'll just compare all the answers. Thanks for participating and helping me with this :) And sorry if it's not in the right section , i didn't really know where to post this :s

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Umm...and how much were you willing to pay for all this "expert" information??;)

I'm guessing that if you search the internet hard enough...this sort of review (or something very similar) has probably already been done.

- Nick

OP
Kingnothing412
Reaction score
Umm...and how much were you willing to pay for all this "expert" information??;)

I'm guessing that if you search the internet hard enough...this sort of review (or something very similar) has probably already been done.

- Nick
To pay.......? Well um...that's why i said "whoever wants". :| And about the reviews , a linux fan's review on ubuntu is different than a os x fan's review on it. I mostly want to know why everyone is choosing what they are choosing.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Might I ask why you're doing this? There are plenty of reviews to read online. You'all also want to remember that you're asking users in a Mac community to give an impartial review. I think it's safe to say that we all prefer OS X.

OP
Kingnothing412
Reaction score
Might I ask why you're doing this? There are plenty of reviews to read online. You'all also want to remember that you're asking users in a Mac community to give an impartial review. I think it's safe to say that we all prefer OS X.

Yes of course i know that , i just want to see why you prefer it but ok if it's so irrelevant idk do what you want to this thread then. :/ Sorry.

C

chas_m

I prefer Mac OS X over Ubuntu because it's more elegant, more powerful (in a user sense), more complete, more in tune with my way of thinking of what a computer should be to me, and because I have the option of running OS X, Windows *and* Ubuntu (and almost any other OS present or past) on a single machine if I desire. Legally!

I also prefer Apple's software to the Linux and Windows alternatives in most cases. I *much* prefer Apple's concept of integrated hardware and software, their design esthetics of both, their attitude towards open source and their commitment to the end-user.

I *love* the fact that OS X is childishly simple if that's what you want, but can be fiendishly complex if that's your thing. Prefer a command line? No problem. Want to compile your code in dozens of different languages? Sure thing. Need to test that website on Windows 95 as well as Windows 7, on IE 4 as well as IE 9? No sweat.

Linux and Windows have their strong points and some benefits over the Mac in areas, no doubt about it. But Linux in particular and Windows generally don't really pass the "grandma test" the way Mac and iOS do.

Also, since Windows tends to just copy most Mac innovations, and Linux tends to model itself too heavily on "Windows norms," I figure why not just go right to the source (both literally and figuratively)? UNIX plus a beautifully designed interface and the ability to run almost anything? That's hard to beat for general-purpose and creative-pro computing, IMHO.

OP
Kingnothing412
Reaction score
I prefer Mac OS X over Ubuntu because it's more elegant, more powerful (in a user sense), more complete, more in tune with my way of thinking of what a computer should be to me, and because I have the option of running OS X, Windows *and* Ubuntu (and almost any other OS present or past) on a single machine if I desire. Legally!

I also prefer Apple's software to the Linux and Windows alternatives in most cases. I *much* prefer Apple's concept of integrated hardware and software, their design esthetics of both, their attitude towards open source and their commitment to the end-user.

I *love* the fact that OS X is childishly simple if that's what you want, but can be fiendishly complex if that's your thing. Prefer a command line? No problem. Want to compile your code in dozens of different languages? Sure thing. Need to test that website on Windows 95 as well as Windows 7, on IE 4 as well as IE 9? No sweat.

Linux and Windows have their strong points and some benefits over the Mac in areas, no doubt about it. But Linux in particular and Windows generally don't really pass the "grandma test" the way Mac and iOS do.

Also, since Windows tends to just copy most Mac innovations, and Linux tends to model itself too heavily on "Windows norms," I figure why not just go right to the source (both literally and figuratively)? UNIX plus a beautifully designed interface and the ability to run almost anything? That's hard to beat for general-purpose and creative-pro computing, IMHO.
I See :) Ok Thanks this has helped , this is exactly what i was looking for :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.