Screen Brightness Not So Bright

Reaction score
I searched around and could not find anything exactly on this, so I thought I would start a thread.

The brightness of the screen on my less that 1 year old 13-in. MBP (it's of the generation just before the most recent models) seems a little less bright. I'm talking about the brightness when I have manually adjusted the Brightness level to the maximum. It might be me, or it might be my old(er) eyes, but I seem to perceive that it is not quite so bright as it was not long ago.

This problem, if it is a problem, will have to get a lot worse before anyone can do anything about it, but I just thought I would throw the whole issue out there and see if anyone else has experienced same.

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The brightness of the screen on my less that 1 year old 13-in. MBP (it's of the generation just before the most recent models) seems a little less bright. I'm talking about the brightness when I have manually adjusted the Brightness level to the maximum. It might be me, or it might be my old(er) eyes, but I seem to perceive that it is not quite so bright as it was not long ago.

The "perceived" brightness of a laptops display can vary greatly depending where you are. Sitting next to a sunny window during the day...or in a dark room at night.

But if your display truly seems less bright than it used to...and the computer is less than 1 year-old...get to an Apple Store...and have them check it out.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Duly noted, Nick. Thanks.

As I hinted above, I think it will have to become something more evident before anyone will be able to diagnose it as a problem. I notice it because I am on the computer every day — and even I am not certain that there s a problem!

I have AppleCare, so (I assume) there is time.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Duly noted, Nick. Thanks.

As I hinted above, I think it will have to become something more evident before anyone will be able to diagnose it as a problem. I notice it because I am on the computer every day — and even I am not certain that there s a problem!

Yeah...I doubt that the Apple Store would have any sort of measuring device to measure the brightness (nits or candelas per square meter (cd/m2))...the best they could probably do (if they even think about it)...is compare it to another unit (if your model is still available in the Apple Store). And even then...there is variation between similar units.

If things got real serious...they would probably have to ship it somewhere for more exhaustive testing/evaluation.

I have AppleCare, so (I assume) there is time.

Yeah like you said...as long as your 12 months of Applecare is not about to run out...or you have extended Applecare...you're fine for the moment.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
Definitely time if you have AppleCare. Just be sure that your aware of the expiration date! :)

OP
M
Reaction score
I bought the AppleCare product when I bought the MBP. It's covers 3 years from date of purchase, doesn't it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
Depending on what option you got yes. If I remember correctly there was and option for 1 year and one for 3 years right? Or am I getting that mixed up with the mfg warranty.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought the AppleCare product when I bought the MBP. It's covers 3 years from date of purchase, doesn't it?

Here's the "graphic" that Apple has on their site regarding the Applecare warranty:

mac-graph-20100201.jpg

Apple - Support - AppleCare - Mac and Apple Display

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I called AppleCare. Mine is 3 years from date of purchase.

Reaction score
screen brightness

I searched around and could not find anything exactly on this, so I thought I would start a thread.

This problem, if it is a problem, will have to get a lot worse before anyone can do anything about it, but I just thought I would throw the whole issue out there and see if anyone else has experienced same.

Thanks!

Go to your System Preferences and click on Display. Make sure that your brightness bar is all the way to full strength..most likely this is the solution.

OP
M
Reaction score
Go to your System Preferences and click on Display. Make sure that your brightness bar is all the way to full strength..most likely this is the solution.

Already did/knew that, but thank you.

My screen is probably within the norm. I was just floating the question to see if this model had any issues that I ought to know about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.