Unable to sign into anything

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum realm so I apologize if I'm not posting this in the proper location.

I have been having trouble when logging into anything. Gmail, youtube, twitter, stumbleupon, etc. Whenever I try to to log in, the page grinds and eventually I get "connection has timed out." I've tried using different browsers and its the same thing. I've enabled cookies, cleared the cache, reset/reinstalled firefox, deleted saved passwords, disabled my firewall, signed on as another user and nothing has worked. I've searched the web and can't find any solutions to this problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

(I am currently running leopard.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Just a thought. Have you tried resetting your router.

OP
M
Reaction score
I tether my phone to my laptop. It may also be helpful to know that (to my knowledge) I haven't downloaded or installed any new applications to my mac since I've been having this problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
are you using wifi, router, or directly connecting?

OP
M
Reaction score
I am connected directly.

Maybe this has nothing to do with it, but i tried installing a couple free AV programs and I can never get past the definition update. Maybe a port is being blocked? I checked my proxy settings and everything seems in order.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
FYI: If you regularily communicate with a Win machine, then an AV prog is moslty unnecessary. Altho I find it rather confusing, ClamAV would be probably the only AV program you should need as it scans for Malaware and virii. It doesn't slow your machine and is made for the mac rather then being new to it.

Try starting your mac in Safe Mode.. If you can connect and Login with no problems then it probably has to do with a 3rd party program..

I'm not sure if it will help with your problem, I've found also that sometimes fixing Permissions and running Verify Disk can sometimes help. Note: If you don't have Onyx (the correct version for you OS) then it's a good program to have.

You could also try some of these tips http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/93819-basic-os-x-mac-troubleshooting.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
I tether my phone to my laptop. It may also be helpful to know that (to my knowledge) I haven't downloaded or installed any new applications to my mac since I've been having this problem.

This sounds like the problem to me.. I sometimes tether my phone to my laptop and if the phone doesnt have good service or the page is way too complex you will get that message.. When tethered your laptop will open the regular page instead of the mobile site, some of which we huge for a 3G connection to handle. Also if your moving you phone will go in and out of service areas and this can also be an issue. Does this happen when connected to the Internet via wifi or direct connect with cat5?

C

chas_m

Installing "a couple of anti-virus programs" (when there are no viruses for the Mac) sounds more like the problem to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.