So Frustrating! G5, 10.4.11

Reaction score
Sorry, can't delete this post.. moderator, please delete and I will repost in software area.

Hey guys first post. I'm writing out of pure frustration for my Mac. I have been a Mac graphic designer for more than 20 years, so I know the ins-and-outs of the Mac... but here is the problem I have.

Problem 1:
My '4 x 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5' Mac at home is running 10.4.11.

My iTunes is 9.2 (61).

It seems we can't update either our OS or the iTunes due to it NOT being an Intel Machine. Can anyone help me?

Problem 2: I updated my iPhone 3G on my work Mac (a newer Intel), and now I can't plug it in at home without it telling me it's not able to update.

Thanks in advance fellas.

Kevin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Yup, that's the PowerPC problem....

You'll need OS X 10.5 Leopard. Last OS for PowerPC. Enables newer iTunes than you have.
Leopard isn't sold in stores any more. You have to buy it from places like eBay, Craigslist, etc. Be sure to only buy a Black retail version DVD (with some purple highlights and a big X across the face of the DVD).

OP
K
Reaction score
Thank you Gents!!! I have a bigger issue I believe, the Adobe CS5 package I need to upgrade too only works on an intel machine.. so... I think my path is clear... I can 'snow leopard' this older machine to get it rockin, and hopefully find a nice used intel machine locally to continue fwd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Yes CS5 is intel only

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
We have all been there and done that kbuicker. Hated parting with my G5 Dual Core, but this is what is called progress. Having been forced to an Intel machine, you will have no regrets as the speed difference is really amazing.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thank you Gents!!! I have a bigger issue I believe, the Adobe CS5 package I need to upgrade too only works on an intel machine.. so... I think my path is clear... I can 'snow leopard' this older machine to get it rockin, and hopefully find a nice used intel machine locally to continue fwd.

Actually, you can't 'snow leopard' your G5. OS X 10.6 is Intel only.

OP
K
Reaction score
We have all been there and done that kbuicker. Hated parting with my G5 Dual Core, but this is what is called progress. Having been forced to an Intel machine, you will have no regrets as the speed difference is really amazing.

Well ;), I've been lucky so far, this is my 4th mac, and I've never bought one... they're all hand-me-downs from an old workplace (and my initial one from college)... I have the top end Mac at my current workplace and love it.
I also know I can't run Adobe CS5 on this older machine.. which means I can't bring projects home from work (Indesign at least). Funny how that works.

---

Razormac, is that true? In that case, I have my eyes on an Intel iMac locally.. maybe that's the only thing I can do. If this IS true, then I need to quit spinning my wheels looking for a 10.6 disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
he's right.

Snow Leopard System Requirements

Mac computer with an Intel processor
1GB of memory
5GB of available disk space
DVD drive for installation
Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.
Some features require Apple's MobileMe service; fees and terms apply.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Don't bother looking for that Snow Leopard disk. Razormac is right Snow Leopard requires an Intel machine.

Nice catch Razor I did not notice that earlier.

OP
K
Reaction score
Wonderful, I guess this machine will be used for the internet and Word... ugh.

On to craigslist I go! Any notes on what I should look for an in IMac? There seems to be a number of them for sale (Intel based).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Given that you want to run CS5.5 (Indesign at least, I'd assume potentially Illustrator.. maybe Ps?) what's your budget?

BTW, I ask this because.. I had 5.5 running on my 08 mbp which is a 2.4ghz core 2 duo with 4gb's of RAM. It ran fine, when I bumped up to a '11 it flat out ROCKED in comparison. So, if your budget is close to a refurb.. I'd go that route personally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

On to craigslist I go! Any notes on what I should look for an in IMac? There seems to be a number of them for sale (Intel based).

Intel Core 2 Duo minimum. Stay away from the older iMacs with only the Core Duo processors.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks guys, i could see spending $600 on an intel iMac... Cor two duo... Coolwill watch for one.

I mentioned indesign cause they've worked it whereitwobt export backwards very far. Photoshop still works with olderversions... But CS5 won't work on a non intel machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, a core 2 duo will work just fine.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The one thing that makes me nervous is that it seems like this is a lot of software for a bit over $600.00. I am sure You know how closely Adobe monitors registration for their products. Final Cut Pro alone can be several hundred dollars depending on version.

I googled the store phone number and got two different business names one was Bam Liquidators and one may be a dry cleaner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If they don't give you media.. I'd balk. Personally. There's a TON of fake Adobe product out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.06 GHZ intel core 2 duo OSx 10.7.2iMac G5 10.4.11 , ipad

Aren't you a bit leery to buy a computer on craigslist ? I have thought about it , but what if you get screwed and a few days after you buy it it doesn't work ?

OP
K
Reaction score
Aren't you a bit leery to buy a computer on craigslist ? I have thought about it , but what if you get screwed and a few days after you buy it it doesn't work ?

Well, I do ask if things are licensed appropriately, I've noticed a few people do not reply after finding out I have dealings with Law enforcement.. after I pose THAT question, they go the other way.

Slydude, That company you looked up suddenyl SOLD the one I was inquiring about then told me about a few less valuable version... no thanks right.

I had a deal for a $500 one today and the girl dropped out and sold it beneath me before I could pick it up..

I have a guy I'm speaking too now in a neighboring city that sounds legit.. we'll see.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.