Wanted Telnet / SSH Client

Reaction score
Hi
I'm looking for a Telnet / SSH client for OS X

But it needs to support username and password learning or a way to save these details.

On Windows I use IVT Telnet :
http://home.planet.nl/~ruurdb/IVT.HTM

This works well but I'm trying to make the switch to MAC.

thanks for your suggestion. Would be nice if it was free or opensource !

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
SSH is built into OS X. You could use the command line client with some authentication keys but that may or may not be too advanced/complex for what you want (I don't know your comfort level with SSH).

A quick Google search came up with this. Although, if all you're really looking for is file transfer (through SFTP), nothing beats Cyberduck. Are you looking to transfer files or are you looking for something more like Putty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
You could try iTerm2. There isn't a direct save of profiles like Putty - but you could make autocomplete keystrokes to fill in passwords. You can also setup profiles so that it automatically runs a command like ssh or telnet.

By the way - you shouldn't be using telnet/ftp - you should use ssh/sftp as telnet/ftp send information unencrypted - including passwords. Anyone with a packet sniffer will be able to reconstruct everything you do with those protocols.

iTerm2 is also available as a MacPort.
Code:
sudo port install iTerm2
Assuming you've already installed Macports and xcode.
The MacPorts Project -- Home

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
By the way - you shouldn't be using telnet/ftp - you should use ssh/sftp as telnet/ftp send information unencrypted - including passwords. Anyone with a packet sniffer will be able to reconstruct everything you do with those protocols.

Agreed. I can think of only one time I'd use these connection methods (the above is the very reason they're deprecated), and that is within a CLOSED network environment. That's a pretty rare thing these days ;)

although I do work within them regularly, go figure.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There's a prebuilt binary of iTerm2 available for OS X 10.7.2 here if you don't want to build it yourself.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

This is for use on a local network, but with upto 30 devices... hence the need for remembering username/password & IP Address.

I need both SSh and Telnet for shell access, I'm comfortable with IVT, but want to get upto speed on Mac. !

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.