Installing Firmware Update on 2011 MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
I'm trying to install an EFI Firmware update on a 2011 MBP; however, after restarting it beeps, restarts to a grey booting screen with a status bar, then restarts a third time normally. Is this normal?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, it's scary, but normal. My iMac has had two firmware updates and did the same thing both times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
Don't those type of updates come with the updates from apple? I remember that some do and some we are responsible to download ourselves.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Machine specific firmware updates are automatic from Apple - provided you have a connection to the net.

Other device firmware updates may or may not be automatic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appologize for the hijack but dont want to waste space creating another thread.. But can you give an example of something that wouldn't be included in an apple update. I was always confused by this. And don't know if I'm missing out on crucial updates for my machine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For example, a firmware update for a device you purchased from a third party = DVD burner, Router, etc.

Apple devices are detected (as long as they're attached) and will be updated if a firmware update for them exists.
Even my older Apple aluminum keyboard received an automatic firmware update some time back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks a lot for clearing that up. Because I remember a while back reading that my specific MBP(late 2008) had an issue with fans not kicking on and wanted to make sure those types of things came to my Mac automatically though updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP 8GB RAM 640GB HDD
I'm trying (and failing) to get the EFI update (2.3) installed on my machine (late 2011 MBP). It looks like it's working, it instructs me to reboot, I do, it comes back up and it's still in the list of available software updates. I don't get the status bar on boot-up that it sounds like I'm supposed to get, either. From what I can find, most times when people can't get the EFI updates to install, people say "keep the screen open" or "make sure it's plugged into a wall outlet" and that fixes their issue, but I've had it plugged in with the screen open every time I've tried and no luck. Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I recommend contacting Apple support and see what they say. And if there is an Apple store nearby you may wish to make an appointment and take it on in for them to check it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP 8GB RAM 640GB HDD
I recommend contacting Apple support and see what they say. And if there is an Apple store nearby you may wish to make an appointment and take it on in for them to check it out.

I reset the SMC and PRAM, tried installing with the installer in addition to the auto update, still no luck either way. Contacted Apple, they had me give them some info, I told them what I tried, tried one more time with the installer at their request. Their last suggestion was to reinstall Lion, which did work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.