Remotely control another mac

Reaction score
My mother just got her first Mac, a MacBook Air. I would like to be able to access her mba from my mbp. I've heard of apps like Log Me In to remotely control other computers, but was wondering if Apple has an app that does the same thing. Or which apps you guys recommend to do this.

Thanks,

Bmac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
There is a built in VNC/SSH server but that would take some configuration. I've heard good things about LogMeIn but I have been using Teamviewer - which works well for me.
TeamViewer - Free Remote Access and Remote Desktop Sharing over the Internet
Free for personal use, runs on Mac and Windows, has file transfer, and is super easy to setup - especially for remote control.

OP
bmac_17
Reaction score
Thanks I'll check that out. I was just reading about using iChat for remote access. I didn't realize it could be used for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I forgot about that. I have used iChat for remotely viewing/controlling desktops. That is also nice as you can be talking while viewing the desktop. I have Windows Machines to control - that is why I use TeamViewer - but if everything I supported was a Mac - then iChat may be the way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
You could also use RDC( remote desktop connection). I have lion and it came with the download. I have been using it all week actually do help my buddy get his finances in order for his business in quick books. Works like a charm and all you need is to have the ip of the computer you wish to access and make sure to have remote desktop sharing enabled. If you dont have it the program can be downloaded for free and works perfectly with Mac to Mac or Mac to pc and vice versa.

C

chas_m

If you both have high-speed internet, I'd recommend the iChat route -- I use it all the time to help a pal in Florida (I am almost exactly diametrically across the continent from him, in Canada). We video chat for a bit, then I send a screen share request, he replies and we can still audio chat while I "take over his mouse" and show him what he's doing wrong or has forgotten.

Works GREAT. I'm sure Teamviewer et al work great too but I've not needed to explore it since iChat works so well for us.

OP
bmac_17
Reaction score
Yea, I think I'll give iChat a try. It sounds like it'll do everything I need to do. It will be nice having the audio chat so I can explain things as I do them. Thanks for your input.

OP
bmac_17
Reaction score
Figured I'd give an update...

I set up iChat using Jabber (GMail) accounts. Screen Sharing works great and the audio chat is very helpful in explaining what I'm doing to her while I'm doing it.

Thank you all very much this has really worked a treat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.