Reinstalling OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 13-inch, OS X Lion 10.7.2
i've been told to reinstall OS X Lion to fix my computer (it has to do with apps not working). is reinstalling easy? do you need internet access? does it make you lose any files or saved preferences? is it safe? thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Who told you to re-install and why did they tell you that? That is a pretty drastic step. Usually you do check disk, repair disk, repair permissions and see if any of that helps.

If you have been backing up with Time Machine the restoring isn't that hard. There are a couple of clone utilities if you want belt and suspenders - Carbon Copy Cloner
Carbon Copy Cloner - Home
and SuperDuper are two good ones
SuperDuper!

Here is an article on repair/restore with lion
OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery
Reboot and hold down cmd-r to get to the recovery partition. As I said a full re-install is pretty drastic so before recommending it I'd like to know your symtoms first.

Reaction score
Apple care told me to reinstall due to my issue last night and still did the same thing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Apple care told me to reinstall due to my issue last night and still did the same thing!

So you're still having issues after reinstalling? You may want to schedule an appointment with your local Apple Store and bring it in. They should fix it for you without any trouble.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.