Oops, brought Office :mac setup, upgrade in error

Reaction score
I have brought Office:mac 2011 but didn't realise that it was the step-up upgrade from Student to Business..

Question is, can I use this as I don't have a current version installed??

I've tried to install but of course get the message that I have the incorrect product key.. most frustrating..

Any thought would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have brought Office:mac 2011...

"Brought" or "bought"?

Brought = "Come to a place with (someone or something)"
Bought = "Obtain in exchange for payment"

- Nick

p.s. If this is an upgrade package...I think you need an older "qualified" version in order to perform the upgrade.

OP
N
Reaction score
Bought.. Purchased, paid money for.

I had the trial version and bought this in error.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What version of Office 2011 did you buy? There are only two currently being sold in the Microsoft store:

Home and Student (and family pack of 3)

Home and Business (and 2 pack)

There are no upgrade versions.

OP
N
Reaction score
This was what the invoice said:

Product Name: Office for Mac Home and Business 2011 – Step-up Upgrade

Reaction score
Been there too. The store took it back and replaced it with correct version because i had asked employee for a new install version.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks, glad I'm not alone.. So I guess I can't make this version work without first having an older version installed.. Frustrating!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks, glad I'm not alone.. So I guess I can't make this version work without first having an older version installed.. Frustrating!

The software was probably a pretty attractive price (because it was an upgrade). Upgrades are almost always less expensive than the stand-alone "full install"...and in many cases...upgrades require another version to be installed first.

This can be an older version (for example going from version 2.0 to 3.0 of a program)...or in this Microsoft Office case...going from the more "streamlined" Student version...to the more "feature rich" Business version.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This was what the invoice said:

Product Name: Office for Mac Home and Business 2011 – Step-up Upgrade

I'm rather surprised that they even sold you an upgrade version. I have not seen that version sold across the counter at any of our local stores here that sell Mac software. And, as I pointed out, it's not even sold by Microsoft from their on line store.

OP
N
Reaction score
It was purchased from Apple on-line in Dec 10.

'Thank you for ordering from the Microsoft Office for Mac New Zealand Store on 18 December 2010. The following email is a summary of your order. Please use this e-mail as your proof of purchase. If you paid by credit card, please look for DRI*OfficeMac on your credit card billing statement.'

It was $199 at the time of the purchase, so not really very attractive, given that I can get the Home version for a similar price. I just made a mistake.

It has taken me this long to get around to sorting it our for various reasons, but I am taking from the info above that it's now just an expensive tea coaster. Unless I can find somebody who wants to upgrade from Home/Student to Business.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unless I can find somebody who wants to upgrade from Home/Student to Business.

Ah, OK. Now I understand. When you mentioned upgrade I naturally thought of it being an upgrade from say, Office 2008 to 2011.

Place it on eBay or your local seller's list (assuming you have one in NZ) and see what you can get for it. Since it's new, it should sell.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.