Restore partition/Lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 13" MBP Crucial M4 256gb SSD, 8 gb ram
Hello,

Late 2011 13" i5. Shipped with Lion installed. Cloned everything to external HD with SuperDuper. Then, after using SuperDuper to restore HDD, I come to find out the restore partition was not backed up and erased upon restore. Even though everything is running fine and I have a continually updated clone of my HDD, I would feel better with the ability to do a clean install of Lion if I wanted to.

Lion does not appear in App Store purchases so the "option>click" will not work. In App Store itself, Lion obviously shows "installed." I can "option>click" on it and it will allow me to purchase it for $29.99. Apple also offers a thumb drive installer for $69.

Short of re-buying an OS I already own, anyone have a way to restore Lion/recovery partition?

More reading on here would have informed me I would lose the recovery partition if I restored from a cloned back-up...live and learn :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
More reading on here would have informed me I would lose the recovery partition if I restored from a cloned back-up...live and learn

If you had used Carbon Copy Cloner instead, it would have offered to additionally clone the Recovery partition along with the working partition. Too late now.

You should be able to re-download Lion without cost. Follow the instructions given here.

Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but does Time Machine keep the recovery partition? I'm looking at purchasing a solid state drive and will want to use Time Machine to restore my iMac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, Time Machine does not back up the Recovery partition as it's not necessary if you have to re-install. Since the Recovery partition is hidden, it would remain intact to do a re-install from. Of course if the entire hard drive goes south, that would require a re-download of Lion to the new hard drive anyway.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 13" MBP Crucial M4 256gb SSD, 8 gb ram
If you had used Carbon Copy Cloner instead, it would have offered to additionally clone the Recovery partition along with the working partition. Too late now.

You should be able to re-download Lion without cost. Follow the instructions given here.
It does not work. Lion is not listed in my purchased apps as it came pre-installed. When I try the option>click on Lion in the store itself, it will change from "installed" to "buy" but I have to pay $29.99.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.