Transferring music from itunes to iphone 4s

Reaction score
So I plugged my iphone in and opened up itunes and my iphone was not recognized under devices in itunes. I'm afraid I don't meet minimum system requirements. I'm currently using an older mac os x 10.4.11. Itunes is the most up to date that my system can handle, version 9.1.1. Does anyone now what my options are for transferring music to my phone?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, update your version of OS X to the minimum required.
You didn't say which machine you have but if it's a PPC driven Mac, the best you can do is Leopard 10.5.8. If it's an Intel machine with at least a Core 2 Duo, you can go all the way to Lion, otherwise Snow Leopard.

C

chas_m

As a broad rule of thumb:

brand new peripheral + really old computer = bad mix.

OP
I
Reaction score
Unfortunately i'm using a PowerPC. Do I have any other options than to spend the $200 to upgrade to Leopard. Snow Leopard is strictly for Intel correct?

Thanks for the response

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Right now retail versions of Leopard are going for around $100 on eBay. That's your best bet. Otherwise, you'll need a newer machine with an Intel CPU to at least run Snow Leopard which you can buy from Apple for $29.99.

Or, (gasp) pick up a cheap Windows box running at least XP and you can download the Windows version of iTunes and then transfer your music to your new 4S.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.