Why do I not have a 3G network on my iPhone 3Gs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Hi.

I have a iPhone 3Gs. I am on the AT&T mobile carrier. When I got the phone, it was at a AT&T store in Chicago IL. My hometown. But when I come to Michigan to visit my family, I do not have a 3G network, and it is just a Edge network. I have check to make sure that 3G is on by going to Setting > General > Network. All 3G, Cellular Data, and data roaming are one, but I am still connected it the Edge.

So now I am in a small town. But when I go into a bigger town, it still will not connect to a 3G network. Even if I go to an AT&T store in Michigan, I will not connect to 3G. I do not know why this is happening. But any suggestions will be very grateful. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I would also like to point out that there is 3G coverage in the area. Might not be for AT&T, but my brother is on a Boost Mobile phone on an Android, and he has 3G that works. Do you think it is mostly just AT&T? Also I do not think it is my iPhone, because as soon as I enter Chicago, 3G turns on. It might be best if I contact AT&T about this matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
HI,
Here in the UK 3G is patchy at best and my iPhone defaults to Edge regularly. It is possible that the areas you mention don't have 3G coverage.

I would however talk to your provider who may give you a simple procedure for basically disconnecting and re-connecting your phone to the cellular network and/or do a hard reset on your phone for the avoidance of any doubt.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
As far as I can tell, boost mobile is cdma - which is different than your iPhone which uses GSM. Your main problem is AT&T has not invested in 3G as much as other carriers. Here is the real problem - the red is Verizon's CDMA which is different that Boost - but still just because a CDMA carrier says you have 3G - you might not have it with a GSM provider. As to why it doesn't connect - it may be the Edge signal is stronger so it defaults to that. It may take a reset or an Airplane mode toggle to get it back to 3G.

VZ_vs_ATT_3G_coverage.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
As far as I can tell, boost mobile is cdma - which is different than your iPhone which uses GSM. Your main problem is AT&T has not invested in 3G as much as other carriers. Here is the real problem - the red is Verizon's CDMA which is different that Boost - but still just because a CDMA carrier says you have 3G - you might not have it with a GSM provider. As to why it doesn't connect - it may be the Edge signal is stronger so it defaults to that. It may take a reset or an Airplane mode toggle to get it back to 3G.

IvanLasston you concur n'est ce pas. The UK is represented by one of those small dots south of the red image of what looks like a small hound baying with a rib-eye steak on it's back and our coverage is dire.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

I also have AT&T and can confirm that coverage can be lacking at times. I guess if you live in those blue areas then everything is great but for the rest of us it can be tough getting a good 3G signal. I usually get 1 or 2 bars in some places or it drops to Edge.

I also agree with IvanLasston about the reset. I don't know if the iPhone 3Gs has the ability to turn off and on your network but try that and see if it works. If turning off and on Airplane mode doesn't work either then try turning off your iPhone by holding down the power button until it turns off as suggested by pendlewitch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
That is the main reason that i got verizon because you get 3g almost everywhere.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.