Putting An SSD Inside A Mid-2010 21.5" iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD
I have what I believe is a mid-2010 21.5" iMac. I say I believe it is a mid-2010 because I purchased it in January of 2011.

I would love to put an SSD in it, however, I was told that the current HDD has a heat sensor hooked up to it. I once spoke with OWC about it, and they said if I send it in to them they can do it. Well, I really don't want to send it in, and probably can't afford to do that right now anyway.

Does anyone know of a work-around for that heat sensor to install an SSD in it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There's been several work arounds suggested. You can Google and read them, however, I would trust the folks at OWC to do it right. If it's not done right, you'll wind up with a hard drive fan that runs full RPM all the time. Extremely noisy and will quickly wear out the fan.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.