Jailbroken iphone trying to update abroad

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to this forum so I hope to find some answers here.

I have an iphone 3GS which I purchased in the US. When we moved overseas 6 months ago I had the phone jailbroken here in Turkey so I could begin using it here. I have a SIM card from a Turkish cell carrier. It worked fine for months but this past week I stopped being able to send and receive texts, and then I was having a problem with calls too.

So today I did the iphone update that was being prompted anyway on iTunes. Now my phone is acting like it's back to the very beginning and needs to re-activate. When I try to re-activate on iTunes, it says there is no SIM card installed (but there IS one in there, and I've taken it in and out multiple times). When I try to re-activate using my home wireless, it says that the "activation server is currently unavailable" and to please try again later, but I have a feeling that's not the real problem. I don't think I'm updating my iphone at a busy time for Apple's servers.

My phone is obviously not working at all at this point or taking me to the main familiar menu. So I can't adjust settings or anything. I can't seem to get past this "activation" step. Any idea how to proceed? Is this problem related to being jailbroken??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Jailbreaking = Naughty. I'd not talk about that much here if you don't want to get a proverbially slapped wrist.

That said, what's happened is updating iOS (to 5.0.1 presumably) has overwritten the Jailbreaking.

There's only two ways to fix that; one you shouldn't do, and one you should. I'll not say what the one you shouldn't do is (although it must be fairly obvious), the one that you should is sell the thing to someone in the US (on eBay or some-such) & buy a new phone that works natively in your country without Jailbreaking.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Jailbreaking = Naughty. I'd not talk about that much here if you don't want to get a proverbially slapped wrist.

Jail breaking your iPhone is perfectly legal (here in the US) and can be discussed in these forums. Apple may not like it, but it has deemed to be legal along with unlocking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Jail breaking your iPhone is perfectly legal (here in the US) and can be discussed in these forums. Apple may not like it, but it has deemed to be legal along with unlocking.
Really? I mean, I know it's not illegal, but I've seen people get smacked-down for discussing it before...

Oh, well; in that case the OP can just get it re-Jailbroken...

C

chas_m

I've not seen anyone here get "smacked down" for discussing jailbreaking. Only for discussing things like pirating and other ILLEGAL stuff.

OTOH maybe you've been here a while ... I'm sure there was a time (before jailbreaking was deemed legal) where it was a forbidden topic ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.