question about elgato

M

mlazuka

Hello, I recently purchased an imac and am interested in using it as a TV for my office. After looking over their website I am somewhat confused. I have satellite TV but I dont have HDTV. I'm not quite sure what to get and how the elgato unit actually works. under the "which TV receiver is right for me" section it only shows that the Eye TV EZ and the Eye TV 200 are compatible with satellite. Will I receive a digital signal on the Mac with either of these? The product comparison shows that both are analog but the Eye TV 200 shows up on a different page as digital. I'd appreciate any help, Im really lost with this. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You still need to have your satellite receiver, you connect the receiver to the RCA/S-Video inputs of the EyeTV and the EyeTV connects to the computer. You need to change channels using your satellite receiver remote. You won't be able to schedule recordings unless you set the channel on the receiver before hand other wise it won't record what you want

OP
M

mlazuka

Thanks, So what about the directv on screen menu that I would get with a regular TV? Would it show up the same as it would on a regular TV? Also, will the signal be displayed as digital or analog? Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The menu will show up in the EyeTV screen like it would on your TV. The signal would be digital

OP
M

mlazuka

Thanks, I appreciate your help. One more quick question, When you say that I would have to set the channel before hand to record, what do you mean? Will I not have the same Tivo functionality where I could just set programs all season like I would with a regular TV?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No you wouldn't have that with satellite. The EyeTV doesn't have the ability to change the channel or know what channel you are watching on the satellite box. The EyeTV can change channels only on a basic cable input (no cable box) so you can preschedule shows with that but not satellite unless you have it tuned to the channel.

The Software also doesn't have a season pass type functionality (which annoys me because I forgot to record House tonight to add to my archive)

OP
M

mlazuka

That stinks, So without Tivo functionality is there any advantage of the 200 over the EZ?

I dont understand how having a satellite box would make any difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the EyeTV Wonder USB2.0 (Not sure why they don't sell it anymore) so I am not sure about the 200 over the EZ, I think the EZ requires more processor power

The difference between Satellite and what I have (I have my colleges cable, just a direct cable line) is that with Satellite you have a Satellite box that is the tuner, the EyeTV devices are cable tuners. So when I click channel up in the EyeTV software it uses my Wonder USB2.0's cable tuner to change the channels, with a Satellite box the EyeTV doesn't have control over the satellite box so it can't change channels, it just receives the video and audio feed.

Think of it like your TV. You can't go up to the TV with satellite and press the Channel Up button on your TV, because the TV isn't the Tuner for the video.

You can still record whatever you are watching and if you plan ahead you can record things while you are out, but you can't have it scheduled to record things on different channels without changing the channel yourself

OP
M

mlazuka

Thanks for all the help getting this straightened out. I think I'm going to get the 200, at least I'll be able to record some shows. I appreciate it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem. They are great products, they can't really make them compatible with satellites or cable boxes without the cable/satellite companies helping to make them work with their services, but they are solid products.

It works perfectly for me up at school since we have a direct cable connection, so I get to record tons of stuff, and it looks great on the 17" iMac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.