Open ofx or csv files

Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to download my stock portfolio information from google finance, and it says download in an OFX file. Then when I click it, it brings me to a blank safari page and I download this thing called quicken. quicken does not work for me for some reason. It just does not seem to be opening up, so I looked on line to try and find something and I came up with nothing, this is why I turn to you awesome people. Is there any program that could open OFX or CSV files? Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In addition to what cwa107 said, a CSV file is nothing more than a comma delimited text file which means you can open and view them with TextEdit.

I routinely download CSV files from my bank and use them as either a straight text input or they can be used with MS Excel.

C

chas_m

CSV files will also open in Numbers, an Apple-based spreadsheet program that is part of the iWork suite and costs $20 on the Mac App Store (an iOS version is also available).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As noted, many apps will handle CSV files. Be careful with the import though since every app seems to read them a little differently. I was given a class list for example as a CSV file and Address Book didn't like the formatting whereas Excel was fine with it (AB had problems with the title columns).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.