Late 2008 13" MacBook Unibody...Modern Enough For Newb?

Reaction score
I am wanting to get started on a Mac, but am limited financially (severely) right now. I can buy a near-mint late 2008 13" aluminum unibody MacBook for $450-500 from a local seller. $500 is really all I can afford.

First of all, is that a good deal?

Second, is it a modern enough Mac for me to learn the Mac OS and do all it needs to do? Is it fast? Should I get a different machine? Will it run Lion (running Snow Leopard now)...and be open to updated OS's?

Sorry for sounding like a rank newbie...but I am, and I appreciate the help!:\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The price range is about right. Of course if you can get it for less....

And yes, it's still a good machine, can run Lion, is fast enough, and should suffice for learning the Mac OS. I would leave it running Snow Leopard for now, however.

As for future operating systems from Apple, it would be impossible to predict whether or not that machine could run an OS after Lion or not.

Reaction score
I just sold a first generation intel macbook from 2006 to a new mac user. Still a very good machine and serving him well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
I have to agree with chscag on staying with snow leopard. To tell you the truth i have considered several times switching back to it because lion bothers me with some of the little things they removed from snow leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.