Web authoring software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8MHz Intel Core i5 27" iMac, 13" MacbookPro
I have a simple website Helden - The Definitive Discography of David Bowie's Live and Rare Music

No java or clever stuff which I used Microsoft FrontPage to produce. Having changed to a Mac from a PC, the only web authoring software I have is Dreamweaver and cannot import my Microsoft FrontPage file. Any suggestions on how I can update my site without completely rebuilding it. There are more than 2000 pages so re-build is not really an option.

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Your webpage should be regular html and image files, so there should be no problem opening up a website in another program.

FRontpage may have its own site file (I avoid Frontpage like a web plague so dont know - have only ever used it once), but Dreamweaver or any other web editor will be able to access the real site, ie the htm and images that you upload to a site

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you. Maybe my unfamiliarity with dreamweaver is my problem. I'll check it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Depending on which version of Dreamweaver you are using, you may or may not find it tricky updating those pages.

Modern versions of Dreameweaver will want to assume your are using modern ways to build pages. FRontpage will have built your pages using the old 1990s method using tables, and I notices it doesn't put a doc type in the header of the pages.

The doctype is important as it tells web editors and browsers what to expect from how the pages have been made, so if you have any problems with Dreameweaver it will be most likely because it has no clear idea what to expect from the code that makes the pages.

If you have difficulties then let us know and we will give you more help

C

chas_m

The bad news -- you're gonna have to rebuild that site (you can salvage the text and art assets so you don't have re-do all that at least).

The good news -- you cannot HELP but end up with a better-looking site by doing so.

But lest this be taken as a criticism -- heavens, no! You have my profound admiration as a fellow Bowiephile for putting this together, I'm going to pass it on to a couple of friends who would be interested ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
maybe the easiest solution is to install Boot Camp, install Windows and use the same software you used on your PC ! ;D

sometimes the easiest solution is staring you in the face but you don't see it !

Tim

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
maybe the easiest solution is to install Boot Camp, install Windows and use the same software you used on your PC ! ;D

sometimes the easiest solution is staring you in the face but you don't see it !

Tim

You have a point. I think I shall re-design the whole website but in the interim (as it will take months), I will do as you suggest.

Thanks.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The bad news -- you're gonna have to rebuild that site (you can salvage the text and art assets so you don't have re-do all that at least).

The good news -- you cannot HELP but end up with a better-looking site by doing so.

But lest this be taken as a criticism -- heavens, no! You have my profound admiration as a fellow Bowiephile for putting this together, I'm going to pass it on to a couple of friends who would be interested ...

I think I shall re-design the whole website but in the interim (as it will take months), I will use the PC software.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.