Powerbook G4 hard drive recovery

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have recently tried to recover the data from my crashed Powerbook G4 using a NewerTech USB 3.0/2.0 Universal Drive Adapter. Until you open the box you are not told it does not work on slim hard drive such as the powerbook's.
At £21 it was worth a shot but I still have no solution.

Does anyone know what I should buy to connect the slim hard drive to my desktop imac?

Thanks, The Austringer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Confused here. Why does it not work? How does it connect?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
There webpage says

It's a complete solution that allows any 2.5″, 3.5″, or 5.25″ hard drive or optical drive* with any standard IDE/ATA/ATAPI 40 pin or SATA interface

So I dont see how it cannot work with a PowerBook's ATA drive

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the replies. The NewerTech USB 3.0/2.0 Universal Drive Adapter will not fit a laptop HD. It makes out on the box that its a one stop solution, but its not. The literature in the box has a very small exclusion. It is because it is a slim drive and they don't supply an adapter that fits. It wouldn't take much to include an adapter that would work, but as it is it doesn't fit. I will go and try this Data rescue 3.

Any ideas welcome, Thanks, Steve.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.