building a network with time machines

Reaction score
I have large area to cover and am wanting to use my 3 TC for an extended network.
So far no problem. Questions
1. do I use static IP for TC at the modem and "join" the other 2 TC's or DCHP all
I seem to get some issues when all are in DCHP and I have no idea why?
2. I have a wired network with a switch also, Switch is directly connected to modem with most hardwires ports after that switch BUT my 3 TC are connected directly to modern and not switch, see any issue with this?

I have Comcast moden, netgear 24 port switch.

Just looking for my best config please,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Connect the modem to TC1, have this as the DHCP router and have it create a wireless network. Connect the switch to TC1. A static IP is not necessary.

To extend your network use airport utility to setup TC2 & TC3 to extend an existing wireless network.

You're getting issues when all three are issuing IP addresses by DCHP because unless you limit the range to prevent overlaps you'll get clashes.
A single router (TC1 in my suggested config) should act as the DCHP server for the entire network.

OP
F
Reaction score
One last question, I can connect TC2 and TC3 to ethernet, should I NOT do this and only extend the wireless or does a ethernet connection create a better ring?

OP
F
Reaction score
I am also lossing speen at TC 2 and TC 3, TC 1 has great speed 5 - 10 Mps while TC 3 has under 1 Mps? thoughts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
What is it you're trying to do exactly?
When you say 'extend the network' I assumed you meant wireless because if you are able to use cable then just use cable. Which kind of makes TC2 and 3 redundant. Perhaps if you could give a few more details of what equipment you're connecting and how you want it connected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As to your last post ... How are you measuring the speed?

OP
F
Reaction score
Ok I will try to explain
I have the main internet come to a closet upstairs, I have Cat 5 to all rooms from their. I am connecting all of those to switch that is getting it's internet feed from the TC 1 as you suggested. My desire for Wifi to be extended is that many of the divides we now have are not ethernet compadible. So I thought I would create a wireless "hotspot" with the additional 2 TRC's. This way there is only one wireless network to join from any point in the home.Plus I can use the Time machines for various computer backup areas.

Is it better to just plug in the TC's 2 and 3 into the ethernet that is coming in after the switch and if I do this is it still broadcasting just one wireless network.

I use speakeasy and speediest.net

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With cabling in place the best coverage will be to have the TCs spread out around the house connected to Ethernet but creating a wifi network. Use the same SSID and password on every TC

OP
F
Reaction score
Thank you
so no need to Join or extend,,, just create and use same info on each is this correct

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.