Newbie needs help setting up Hotmail on iPad & MacBook

Reaction score
Hey There,

I am new to the forum so hoping I posted in the correct area. I am using a hotmail account for personal use and would like to have the account on both my MacBook Pro and my brand new iPad2. I set it up earlier this week and thought that iCloud would allow me to use a sync function but looks like I can't do that. I basically want to be able to delete an email on my Hotmail MacBook computer and have it delete on my iPad other wise I am constantly trying to jungle the same hotmail account on my Blackberry, iPad and my Macbook.

I saw something where it said I could use the Microsoft Exchange Server settings but I wasn't sure how to do this.

Any help would be very much appreciated. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
For deletions to be reflected back up to Hotmail it has to use IMAP rather than POP3. Doesn't matter if you are aware of those terms or not but on your iPhone you need to use the Microsoft Exchange option when setting up your email NOT the Hotmail option.

Go to Settings – Mail, Contact, Calendars
Add Account . . .
Choose Microsoft Exchange
Fill in the fields shown (Leave domain blank and your login should be your email address)
Click next and it will ask for server, enter m.hotmail.com
Choose if you want you want to sync, probably just email.

Any changes you make on the iPhone (read, unread, deletions etc) will be reflected up to your Hotmail account.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you very much...I am not using the iPhone just an iPad and a MacBook Pro.

The setting I am looking for is what to put under Internal Server?
and External Server?

I have m.hotmail.com under Internal and then it gives me the following example under External. External.example.com

Thank you for any suggestions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Where are you seeing internal and external?

OP
S
Reaction score
To make this easier....this is what I want to do...
I have a hotmail account that I have been using for years. I want to be able to view it on my iPad and my Macbook pro without having to log into Hotmail and just use the Mac Mail feature on both devices. I want it to synch as well so that I don't have to delete message three times...once on my Macbook, then on my iPad and then on the Hotmail Server account. Does this make sense and is it doable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It makes perfect sense, and yes, it's doable.

For iPad - just follow the instructions above.

For Mac Mail it's not so easy because Hotmail doesn't have IMAP available for email clients. You can either use the Web interface in a browser or use something like this:
Fluent Factory: mBox Mail for Mac as a way of letting Mac Mail work fully with Hotmail.

This is a Hotmail limitation and one of the reasons I personally moved from it. Gmail (amongst others) allows full IMAP and exchange access on every platform.

OP
S
Reaction score
Totally worked on my iPad thanks mrplow! Now if there was only a work around for my MacBook Pro...if you find anything please let me know.
Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The workaround is the £20 intermediate software
or
get a gmail account (or similar) and have that collect your hotmail email and gradually migrate onto that.

Others may, but I can't come up with other options unless Microsoft update hotmail to support IMAP

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.