new mac user/owner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 15" MBP, OSx 10.8.4, Ipad 64g (2012), Iphone 4S, Ipod Nano
Hello All,

me and my wife are now macbook owners (well she is I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered). I have a question hopefully somebody can help me out.

when my wife shutsdown her laptop a message comes up about opening windows (not the operating system) when she logs back on and she has to uncheck the box so it wont, my question is, is there a way to stop that from coming up? I havent been able to locate where it can be done.

Confused

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
when my wife shutsdown her laptop a message comes up about opening windows (not the operating system) when she logs back on and she has to uncheck the box so it wont, my question is, is there a way to stop that from coming up? I havent been able to locate where it can be done.

There's no ready-made option for this, but it can be done if you are comfortable using the Terminal. See complete instructions here:
Disable “Reopen Windows When Logging Back In” in Mac OS X Lion Completely

All you have to do is open Terminal, copy the command indicated on that page and paste it into Terminal. Hit Enter and let it do its thing. Once done, yer done.

OP
Goavs18
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's no ready-made option for this, but it can be done if you are comfortable using the Terminal. See complete instructions here:
Disable “Reopen Windows When Logging Back In” in Mac OS X Lion Completely

All you have to do is open Terminal, copy the command indicated on that page and paste it into Terminal. Hit Enter and let it do its thing. Once done, yer done.

Thanks for the info, I think I will wait a little bit longer and get a little more practice under my belt before I try this, I have only been using the mac for a little over 1-1/2 weeks, still learning dont want to mess things up and not being able to fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
isn't this the same issue as http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sw...ups-every-time-i-start-up-my-macbook-pro.html ? If so there are a few fixes that you don't need to use terminal for.

Not quite. There are two things going on here in Lion:

1: If you quit an application without closing the document first, then the next time you re-run that application, the documents opened previously will re-open with the application. You can disable this behavior completely as discussed in that thread. Otherwise, you have to get into the habit of closing the document before quitting the app. This is really best to do going forward. More on that in a moment...

2: When you log out of your user account, or restart your Mac (same diff), Lion will, by default, re-open any applications that were open when you exited. Basically it wants to return you to exactly the state you were in when you logged out. This is a similar behavior, but slightly different in that it can't be permanently disabled, short of the tip I provided. This is not necessarily a BAD thing, but understandable if some people don't like it. Apple should make it easy to disable it at one's discretion.

The Lion SDK allows developers to optionally take advantage of a new feature that will let Lion automatically quit any running application that is idle and if the resources it is taking up are needed by other software. This is exactly how iOS operates, and really is a good idea. So it's best to get into the habit of closing your documents when done with them, rather than quitting the application. You can always quit afterwards on your own if you desire or need to.

C

chas_m

Another -- and I find, much easier -- option is to simply quit applications when you are done with them.

If no applications are open when you shut down your Mac, guess what -- no applications (and thus no windows) re-open when you restart it! Genius! :)

Another tip: there's little reason to routinely shut down your Mac. As Apple itself advises, putting it to sleep is a better way to go unless you're going to be away from it for a prolonged period.

OP
Goavs18
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another -- and I find, much easier -- option is to simply quit applications when you are done with them.

If no applications are open when you shut down your Mac, guess what -- no applications (and thus no windows) re-open when you restart it! Genius! :)

Another tip: there's little reason to routinely shut down your Mac. As Apple itself advises, putting it to sleep is a better way to go unless you're going to be away from it for a prolonged period.

Yeah that makes since, how do I check to make sure all applications are closed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Simply look in the Dock and see if there are any icons with the white inverted arrow under them, apart from Finder which always operates.

OP
Goavs18
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Simply look in the Dock and see if there are any icons with the white inverted arrow under them, apart from Finder which always operates.

OK Cool, Thanks a bunch

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.