MacBook pro to TV via HDMI = No sound

Reaction score
Hello all!
I hope this is the correct place to post this - I'm brand new so apologize if any mistakes.

I have a MacBook pro, and brought a HDMI cable to connect to my Pioneer plasma PDP-507XDA. Everything was working fine picture was great, sound perfect through TV speakers....... Went to bed, husband was playing with display settings on laptop then unplugged the HDMI cable to take to work..... Now when I connect it..... NO SOUND through TV!

We are both techno gumbies.... And can't fix it...

Please please help!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
hello there,

have you tried opening the audio setting on the computer, whilst re-pluggin in the HDMI cable?
within the set up there should be a setting that says something like use this device for sound output?

sorry i am not in front of a Mac at the moment?

OP
L
Reaction score
hello there,

have you tried opening the audio setting on the computer, whilst re-pluggin in the HDMI cable?
within the set up there should be a setting that says something like use this device for sound output?

sorry i am not in front of a Mac at the moment?

Thank you :D I have just tried that now! Unfortunately it still does not work. In the little sound icon thingy when I select output it only comes up with 'internal speakers' ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
ok, that sounds like the TV is not recognised with the computer.

this may sound strange but have you tried the ususal shut down, turn off, unplug and then do everything again. try blowing the HDMI cable, both ends, as sometimes the dust hapmpers the connection...

when i get home i will go through the motions with my Mac and try and get a better answer to you

OP
L
Reaction score
ok, that sounds like the TV is not recognised with the computer.

this may sound strange but have you tried the ususal shut down, turn off, unplug and then do everything again. try blowing the HDMI cable, both ends, as sometimes the dust hapmpers the connection...

when i get home i will go through the motions with my Mac and try and get a better answer to you

Yup I tried that to! Unplugged everything, plugged it all back in... Nudda.! I have the screen image on the TV but still no sound and still no option for it to connect in the 'sound' setting on MacBook!
It was working yesterday!!!! GAH!!!

Thank you so much, any help we can get is very appreciated!

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same problem with my early 2011 13" MBP. It worked once. I had sound and video coming through HDMI. Now, no audio and it doesn't show up as an option under system preferences even after unplugging everything and starting again. Very frusterating . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
Have you tried using a different HDMI cable? I just had this problem where i thought my monitor was bad only to find out that the particular DVI cable i was using had gone bad. And that stuff works one second and breaks the next. May be something to try just to rule out a bad cable.

Reaction score
No sound HDMI

HI

Had problem with HDMI to LG & Sony TV's, only picture no sound with iLove Movies etc. Local Computer shop told me my HDMI cable was the problem as it was C**P. Sold me 2meter Gold plated HDMI cable for £10 ($13) - sound worked first time from MacBook Pro to both LG & Sony - felt an idiot. Motto is - don't go messing around with your Mac's settings (especially if like me you don't know what you are doing and have to try to remember how to get back to what the settings were in the first place). As 'Computer shop guy' said - it unlikely to be the fault of the Mac - more so the TV or more simply the HDMI cable!! Mac Book automatically detects HDMI to TV and switches to TV speakers - and when unplug HDMI it should automatically revert to internal speakers - think we don't give Apple enough credit sometimes - thats why you spent £XXXX on a Mac after all :) Try a new cable (don't use one that came free with Sky, DvD player, etc - they are cheap and problematic with sound) and don't let some of the 'major' electrical stores convince you that only a £30 HDMI cable is of any use - it isn't! Sometime it isn't technical but physical that works - recently got mini CD stuck in Drive as now know Mac doesn't support them - may suggestions as to what keys etc to press to eject - none worked - best suggestion - tip MacBook on side with drive facing down and gently shake it - two shakes and mini disc 'fell out' with no damage!

Reaction score
I'm using a mini port to HDMI and to get sound I have some Klipsh computer speakers with subwoofer. Plugged into the speaker port of the MBP. Works great, without I get no sound either.

Reaction score
Well, I went out and bought a brand new Belkin HDMI gold coated cable. Came home, plugged in and still no sound. No HDMI option in my Sound System Preferences either. I know that I can plug a headphone cable into the headphone jack and hook it into my sound system and get sound that way. But that's an analog signal. I really want a digital signal and I want it to come out of one cable. Please help!

Reaction score
I had an extra identical HDMI to mini Port lying around so I decided to replace that as well, and tada! It worked! Finally. Cheers everyone.

Reaction score
Sorry if you now have an 'extra' HDMI cable but it seems to be 'pot luck' with cables, which is hard to understand but I now 'trust my Mac' and blame accessories:)
Have asked this in another Post/Forum but perhaps someone has the answer in this one as its about HDMI to TV etc. Does anyone know a SIMPLE way how to 'Blank out' or 'put to sleep' a MacBook display when showing movie on TV via HDMI? (Without going into settings etc etc & without simply reducing brightness) Using Ctrl/Shift/Eject keys was suggested and puts Mac Display to sleep - but also does same with TV so no use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2.4 C2D - 8GB - 240GB SSD/256GB HDD, ATV2, iPhone 4
Easiest thing to do is clamshell the device. In order to just display the image on the external monitor you need to connect a mouse or keyboard to wake the system up and you have to be plugged into power supply. If you go into the mouse settings you can choose to allow it to wake the system up. From there you can close, plug in, and click the mouse and it should now display on the external mon.

Reaction score
try this for the sound

Hi, I was looking through solution for same problem. Anyway, I stumbled across Utilities then went to Audio mini set up. HDMI should be highlighted. then fiddle with the format because that's how I accidentally solved it. Careful not to put full volume on your tv or that can give you a heart attack. I almost dropped my Mac when it came on suddenly as I was playing something loud in youtube in the background. Hehe. Enjoy!

Reaction score
MacbookPro HDMI audio problems

Heyo i had the exact same problem. i watched a movie from my SANYO 42'' HD TV connected via Hdmi last night and the sound was coming from my tv perfectly. could use the tv remote to changed volume ect. was great. then i pulled the chord out when i went to sleep and next day no audio from the tv only from the laptop.

solution: it was actually the media player i was using on my mac. i use VLC and went to the audio tab and at the bottom of that tab is 'Audio Device' i just switched it to HDMI rather than built in audio and then it worked! yay! so maybe that might be a problem, hope it helps!

(this might be a repost of what someone already said but i didnt read all the previous comments or solutions so sorry if this has already been said.)

happy video watching. be blessed

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.