Questions About Switching

J

JAdams

I'm sort of in the market to buy a new computer. I'd really like a mac.

Unfortunately, money is an issue.

We have a relatively nice computer running Windows XP, but I'm starting to get tired of it. It's becoming obsolete, and painfully slow. If it were my decision, I'd get a new Mac tommorrow, and never look back.

Being a high school student, I don't have the money or the decision-making powers to make that happen.

My dad actually seems fairly supportive of switching over to Mac OS, but he uses a lot of software programs that are specifically windows, and so he'd like to keep the current computer around.

Anyway, that's what brings me to my dilema. I want/need a computer of my own.

I've been looking at several solutions.

The first two involve buying a certified used mac mini. In scenario one, I'd get a KVM switcher and hook it up with all the stuff for this computer. But the way I look at that, it's wasted space. Two computers at one workstation, means only one can be used at a time. Second solution involves me getting the mac mini and hooking it up to some surplus computer parts we have in the garage. That would work if I had a desk. Unfortunately, I just got new furniture in my bedroom, and got rid of my desk. It could work out with some moving, but that would almost eliminate the convenience of having my own computer.

Third solution is getting an older iBook. Quite frankly, this might be the best solution, because I'd really prefer a laptop.

Any of the above solutions are possible (even though I might have said they aren't) and I'm open to any solutions.

I've been looking at both certified pre-owned offered direct from the apple online store, and www.powermax.com

My maximum price is probably $550.

Preferably, I'd like a laptop but anything might do. It wouldn't need to be fancy, just enough to run instant messenger, surf the internet, of course iTunes, and maybe a game or two?

I know I've probably contradicted myself a couple times, but I'd just like some basic info. What are my possibilities?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
I am a high school switcher myself. However, my situation was a bit different. I got a sweet job this summer and earned enough to buy an iMac.

First of all, If you think you'd prefer a laptop, get the iBook. I know a lot of people that have gotten a desktop even though they had kind of been itching for a laptop and regretted it. Plus, if space is an issue for you, an iBook could be just the answer you're looking for. I don't know what kind of games you expect to play on an older iBook but don't expect anything too great.

I'd suggest trying to get you're parents and grandparents to give you some money for your birthday or Christmas or something, and put that towards one of the new 12 inch iBooks ($999 I believe). The iBook comes with an AirPort card, so then all you have to get is a wireless router and you can go anywhere in the house.

Trust me, having your own computer changes your world. I don't know what I will do if my computer ever gets messed up and I have to ship it off for a few days to get it fixed. Own computer = the goods...

-Taylor

OP
J

JAdams

Quite frankly, I could probably get the money to buy a brand new iBook if I absolutely had to. But that money is sort of saved up for college. And preferably, I'd like to use that money to buy an iBook for when I go to college.

If I bought one now, I would very likely need a new one before I left for college. I'd rather buy something cheap now just to get along for the next two years.

So anyway, I guess my question is, would it be worth it to buy an older iBook G3?

And assuming it's not, would I be better hooking up a Mac Mini to my current computer with a KVM switcher or setting it up entirely separately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
I understand what you mean about saving that money for a new laptop for college. I'm in the same situation now as a senior.

I would still lean towards the iBook over the Mini, just because being forced to hook it up to the same setup as the PC wouldn't really make it all that exciting. Plus when your parents want to use the computer you can't.

Get an iBook G3 with an AirPort card and snag yourself a wireless router. I think you'll have a good time with that.

OP
J

JSchultz

G3 iBooks are cheap and plentiful these days on eBay. I just bumped a thread on someone elses G3 500 mhz 12" iBook. She had a buy it now of $305 only! So cheap! What will you be using the iBook for, JAdams? If it's just basic tasks such as mail, safari, iTunes and some word processing, you'd get along just fine. I had myself a 700 mhz g3 iBook with max ram, and that thing never let me down with basic tasks. I also had the 500 mhz iBook almost 5 years ago, and it served me faithfully too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.