Attaching image files to Mail

Reaction score
How can I attach an image file to an email so the size of the file is not reduced or compressed? Can you attach an image file so you don't see the image in the email just the attached file - as with a .doc or .pdf?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
What program are you using for email?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You don't say which email client you're using so giving you help on how to prevent the client compressing your image isn't possible at this point.

However, if you don't want the image to display, or the image itself compressed you best bet is to embed it in another file. The most obvious solution is to ZIP the image. The overall file size may or may not be reduced (depending on the image format) but the quality of the image will not be diminished and the person on the receiving end, once they've unZIPped the file, will get the identical image file that you have sent. As a bonus to ZIPping the file you won't get an image preview.

C

chas_m

How can I attach an image file to an email so the size of the file is not reduced or compressed? Can you attach an image file so you don't see the image in the email just the attached file - as with a .doc or .pdf?

I'm going to assume you are using Mail (aka Mac Mail).

The file size of images is not reduced or compressed in any way using normal attachment procedures, so your first question is a non-concern.

The answer to your second question is "yes." Just right-click (or control-click) on the embedded image and choose "View as Icon" from the contextual menu.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.