Internet sharing from Mac to iPhone help!

Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to share my internet from my mac (through ethernet cable) to my iphone 4s. I've gone through all the steps to do so and the phone connects to the network, but when i try to open a webpage, it says that it cannot connect. Is there a reason why? How can i fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Welcome to the forums,

Just so we're talking about the same thing here is this how you're setup?
(it's helpful if you add your machine/OS specs to your profile or post btw)

- Your Mac is connected to the internet via Ethernet cable and works fine?
- you want to share this internet connection by creating a wifi network on your Mac that your iPhone can connect to?

If this is the case, this is what you need to do:
- on the Mac go to System Preferences - Sharing. If Internet Sharing is ticked, untick it for now
- set the source to Ethernet
- set the destination to Airport
- tick the internet sharing option.
- Click on the wifi icon on the menubar (top-right) by the clock
- Select Create network
- Enter a name for the wireless network, which will be broadcast from your Mac. Leave the channel on Automatic. Choose WPA security and enter a password of your choosing.

- on your iPhone search for wifi networks, you should find the network you named above, enter the password, give it a few seconds then try a webpage in Safari/email etc

Reasons why this might not work:
- if you're in a hotel or at college or work you may not be able to do this as sometimes connections are limited to a single device

If the wifi option still isn't working consider setting the destination to Bluetooth, turn wifi off on the Mac and iPhone and pair the phone by bluetooth instead.

Post back with how you get on please.

OP
F
Reaction score
I've gotten it to work, with just a restart of my computer, everything seemed to just connect and I got access to the internet. I don't know how that managed to sort itself out, but now I have another issue, which is that my iPhone can find the wifi from my computer, but instead of connecting as usual, it just continues to load and I cannot get it to access the wifi. I've tried both restarting my phone and computer, as well as resetting the network settings... How do I get it to work again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You haven't said what steps you taken. Did you go through all the info I posted?

How did you create your network? Which encryption?

OP
F
Reaction score
I've followed all the steps and the network is on Automatic and has a password lock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So which encryption?
And what happened when you tried Bluetooth?

Reaction score
Help Needed

Welcome to the forums,

Just so we're talking about the same thing here is this how you're setup?
(it's helpful if you add your machine/OS specs to your profile or post btw)

- Your Mac is connected to the internet via Ethernet cable and works fine?
- you want to share this internet connection by creating a wifi network on your Mac that your iPhone can connect to?

If this is the case, this is what you need to do:
- on the Mac go to System Preferences - Sharing. If Internet Sharing is ticked, untick it for now
- set the source to Ethernet
- set the destination to Airport
- tick the internet sharing option.
- Click on the wifi icon on the menubar (top-right) by the clock
- Select Create network
- Enter a name for the wireless network, which will be broadcast from your Mac. Leave the channel on Automatic. Choose WPA security and enter a password of your choosing.

- on your iPhone search for wifi networks, you should find the network you named above, enter the password, give it a few seconds then try a webpage in Safari/email etc

Reasons why this might not work:
- if you're in a hotel or at college or work you may not be able to do this as sometimes connections are limited to a single device

If the wifi option still isn't working consider setting the destination to Bluetooth, turn wifi off on the Mac and iPhone and pair the phone by bluetooth instead.

Post back with how you get on please.

Hi,

My Mac is connected to the Internet via Ethernet cable and works fine. I want to share this Internet connection from my Mac to my iPhone through Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, as long as it does not cost my iPhone its 3G or Cellular Data usage.

My machine/ gadget specs:
MacBook Pro: Mac OS X Version 10.6.8
iPhone 4s: Version 5.1 (9B179)

I went through the steps you suggested above. i.e.:

- On the Mac set the Internet sharing from Ethernet to Airport and enabled it.
- Created a Network under Airport: named it, left Channel on Automatic (11), and set a five digits Password.
- On my iPhone found the Wi-Fi just created, and connected to it.

However, after a few seconds, I tried a webpage in Safari and another app that requires Internet, both told me that my Interent was not connected.

I am at home, not in a hotel or at college or work. Nevertheless, I am not sure if my Internet connection is limited to a single device.

After Ethernet to Airport did not work, I set Internet sharing from Ethernet to Bluetooth PAN and enabled Bluetooth sharing on both my Mac and my iPhone. However, I would get an error message on my Mac saying: "The Bluetooth network is unavailable. There was an error connecting to your device. Make sure the device is turned on and in range." Or sometimes on my Mac under Bluetooth, my iPhone would be Connected and showing a green dot, but after a few seconds it would turn red and show "Not Connected", and another error message comes up saying "There was a problem connecting to your device. Make sure the device is on, in range, paired correctly, and services such as Bluetooth tethering are set up properly."

What shall I do to make this work?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Reaction score
I could Connect to wifi network but I couldn't connect to internet

Safari said `` Interent was not connected

I CHANGED share your connection from > Ethernet

to

share your connection from > my connection PPPoE

work correct

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.