Need help with drive selections for new iMac for video editing

Reaction score
I am getting set to put together an order for a new 27" iMac and need help with drive configuration.

I'll be doing hobby video editing - nothing longer than an hour or so. Just lots of clips and stills with transitions. Certainly nothing pro level with multi-layered timelines.

I'll get the i7 quad core and the 2gb Radeon video board. (unless someone convinces me I don't need that much power).

But I'm thinking about drives. I'm not familiar with how Final Cut Pro X does it's processing.

It's too bad that the only internal second drive option on the iMac is an electronic drive - at $500 that's pretty pricey for what might be moderate performance gains.

Here are my drive configuration questions:
1. Is it advantageous to split the application off onto a separate drive? Or can I have the application and media on the same drive?
2. If I had to put the App and some media on the same drive, should that media be the source media or the export media?
2. Would a firewire 800 drive be fast enough as a drive to export to?
3. Would a firewire 800 drive be fast enough to use for my source media?
4. I'm fairly certain I don't want to have my source media and my export media on the same drive - is that correct thinking?
5. I don't think the iMac has an eSATA port for that type of external drive. Can one be added easily?

Thanks for the help!
Craig

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.