Any point upgrading ram?

Reaction score
I have a late 2007 macbook. Core 2 Deo, 2Ghz 3gb ram running 10.6.8.

Is there any point in upgrading to the max of 4gb ram? I'll probably hold off upgrading my whole computer for another year or so when the new MBP is out.

Any significant performance increase? I know its only a 1gb change. I find sometimes, mostly when playing video content my fan starts going crazy and its not as quick as it could be. Other than that i am surprised how such an old computer can still be running so well. My PC as slow after about a year, and this seems to run almost as well as it did the day i bought it.

Basically, am I going to notice it? Ram over here is not quite as cheap as in the US.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*
If your just using the book for basic stuff then adding the memory will not improve the speed. HD upgrade may be in order for some snap. If the original drive from 07' is still packed inside then a replacement may help.
As for the fan spin up, I noticed on earlier MacBooks that during live stream they heat up a bit, pretty normal. If you are experiencing more fan activity under normal use, maybe time to seek a professional for an interior dusting to clear fan and heat sink fins as well replace thermal paste, all to cool things down a bit.
Aaron

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a late 2007 macbook. Core 2 Deo, 2Ghz 3gb ram running 10.6.8.

Is there any point in upgrading to the max of 4gb ram?

Pretty much no. Why?...

Technically (from Apple) this model MacBook had an official max. ram of 2gig. (but folks found out that you could actually install 4gig). But because of the way ram is managed on these 2007 MacBooks...even if 4gig of ram is installed...only around 3.25gig is actually recognized & useable.

So if you currently have 3gig...and upgraded to 4gig...you would actually only be gaining 0.25 gig (3gig to 3.25gig).

- Nick

OP
davenz
Reaction score
Yeah standard (tiny) HD. I'm mostly talking about streaming video. Fan is fine doing basic stuff. What IS more ram going to be faster doing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*
Same as our brains, short term memory, your only adding to that which is always good, but pigoo3 proves a very good point, you are pretty much maxed as it is. HD and a cleaning with replaced thermal paste will keep her snappy and cool for years to come. Think of it a s a tune up for your car, you just feel better.
Aaron

OP
davenz
Reaction score
Pretty much no. Why?...

Technically (from Apple) this model MacBook had an official max. ram of 2gig. (but folks found out that you could actually install 4gig). But because of the way ram is managed on these 2007 MacBooks...even if 4gig of ram is installed...only around 3.25gig is actually recognized & useable.

So if you currently have 3gig...and upgraded to 4gig...you would actually only be gaining 0.25 gig (3gig to 3.25gig).

- Nick

Thanks- that basically answers my question

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.