Schedule cloning

Reaction score
I have just acquired a G3 Power PC Mac, and will install the Tiger OS (there is no OS currently.) That is, if there is reasonable assurance it can be set up easily to perform the singe task I want to use it for. I have never used any Apple anything before, but I am proficient in windows and have set up the required task in both Windows using windows scheduler and under Ubuntu using crontab.

The task is to set up around 15 commands like the following -

Every <particular day of the week | particular day of the month every Nth month starting date nn> clone folder X on usb disk y to folder z on usb disk d

- And by “clone” I mean create an exact copy – including deletions if necessary, preferably only copying what is not already on the destination as these are gigbyte folders.

If all this is no sweat, where do I get details please?

Petermat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Macbook 2.2ghz, eMac G4 1.07ghz, PowerMac G4 Digital Audio.
I'm sure there is a way to do it using automator, but for me I use these two products to do cloning and schedule it:

SuperDuper!
Carbon Copy Cloner - Features

Welcome to the board, and enjoy your ibook!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Macbook 2.2ghz, eMac G4 1.07ghz, PowerMac G4 Digital Audio.
iBook, doh! Enjoy your powermac. Let us know how the cloning/scheduling works out for you. On a whim yesterday, I fired up my old powermac...man love that machine, so stable :)

OP
P
Reaction score
OK, I got a copy of tiger and installed it - I also installed NTFS-G3, so now on the mac I can read and write to the usb ntfs drive I have plugged in. The hard drive also appears to the win 7 machines on the net - but the usb drive does not. This is essential as the whole point is to get a win 7 to write to the usb drive. (win 7 writing to mac's hard drive and then having the mac transfer the file to the usb drive is not an available option)

Is there any way of making the usb drive visible to the win 7 net?

OP
P
Reaction score
Still no way to clone acceptably

OK so I fixed getting read / write on the usb drives using ntfs-3g, and I got these drives visible on the network with SharePoints. I then ran Carbon Copy which ran incredibly slowly - about 10 hours per GByte. Of course this may be the iBook HW - the drives certainly run at least 10 times faster under windows, So I tried Super Duper - but this will not work through ntfs-3g to see the ntfs drives. I looked at Automator but if it can do an intelligent clone (as distinct from GByte size erase and copy) this is well past my understanding.

So it rather looks like this iBook will be looking for a home as it seems to be useless to me - unless someone has a miracle idea!!!

All suggestions (aimed at a solution) welcome!

Peter

C

chas_m

You're talking about a ~10 year old computer, I'm not quite sure what you expected there. I'm frankly very impressed that you found software that will run on it.

The reason that CCC ran so slowly was because you are probably using USB1.1 on that dinosaur, I should think.

I'm afraid the only suggestion I have is to get something made closer to this decade. While I'm sure it will be more expensive than whatever you got that G3 for (which I assume was free), you needn't spend a great deal of money to obtain something a bit newer (though I'd recommend an Intel-based Mac as a base minimum).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.