USB Drawing too much power??

Reaction score
start off im new to the forums but i have had a mac since i was born haha anyways... I have a mid 2008 macbook and i was trying to charge my battery on my droid with a cut usb cable and got the usb drawing too much power and now i dont get any messages and when i plug in any usb device i dont get any recognition of it and no matter what i do i cant get the usb to work even with an external power source.. any help would be much appreciated ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
In my experience that message has usually occurred because of a device that really should have its own power supply or in this case the cable. A couple of questions occur to me though:

!. Do the problems persist after you restart the Mac? That usually clears it up form me. The problem may well return if you plug in the device that started the problem.

2. If the problem goes away and only occurs with the droid connected does the droid have a separate power cord. With my old Palm phone it would sometimes cause this unless I charged it via the external power cord.

OP
S
Reaction score
It still persists after i restart my mac and its doing it for every usb device i try using not just my droid... hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do a reboot and run Repair Permissions and as Sly suggests, get a main powered USB hub.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.