MP3 tagger for Mac (Tag & Rename Alternative)?

Reaction score
Hi, all...

The only reason I still log on to Windows is for Tag & Rename. The finest music file tagger I've ever used. iTunes doesn't even come close.

Anyone familiar with Tag & Rename? Is there a Mac alternative that has the features of Tag & Rename?

Thanks in advance for any help ya'll can offer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Tagr is decent for sure. Of course, you can just do it in iTunes.
Alternatively something like Tune-Up will do it automatically. Worth the free trial if you only have 100 or so to re-do.

OP
Spellbinder
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. While iTunes does indeed tag, it has nowhere near the features to manually tag in the way that Tag & Rename does. So far, it seems that The Tagger is the closest I've seen. While not quite as feature rich as Tag & Rename, it seems that it might meet my needs in the world of the Mac.

Appreciate the input, guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks, guys. While iTunes does indeed tag, it has nowhere near the features to manually tag in the way that Tag & Rename does. So far, it seems that The Tagger is the closest I've seen. While not quite as feature rich as Tag & Rename, it seems that it might meet my needs in the world of the Mac.

I used to use Tag and Rename myself. Try Media Rage. It's very good and, from what I can recall (it's been several years now), does pretty much everything T&R could do, if not more.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I used Tuneup with reasonable success - although it does seem to default to greatest hit compilations which is a tad annoying. For best results you have to review every tag made - which results in a mouse click per second.

Reaction score
Agree with original poster. I only have Parallels so I can run Tag & Rename! Nothing touches it on PC or Mac.

1. album look ups via Amazon - and auto tagging! (including album art)
2. easily customizable file naming structure, and you can save them as presets
3. can batch edit as many files as your computer can handle
4. get tags from filename and vice versa.

I could go on and on.

Did try The Tagger and it isn't bad, but doesn't allow you to do actions on more than a folder's worth of files, and since albums are all in folders, it's a bit limited in that regard.

Still, not bad. But still no equal to Tag & Rename!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.