Authentication Required, Disk Permissions Repaired, but no dice.

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can help with this...

I am using Lion, and since upgrading, I have to authenticate almost all files if I edit & save them or try to move them into a different folder. Things as innocuous as word docs...

I have verified and repaired all disk permissions successfully, but this hasn't solved the problem. I'm not sure what else to try. It's frustrating to have to save my revised documents to the desktop, then drag them back to the folder they're supposed to be in, and enter my password to complete the transfer.

If I see the phrase "Word cannot save or create this file. The disk may be full or write-protected...." one more time, I'm gonna lose my mind.

Any advice would be incredibly appreciated!
Thanks!
Jo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66ghz Intel Core i7 8GB 1067 MHz
you could try, if you right click on your mac hard drive on desktop and get info, on sharing and permissions add in the current user that you logged into, into the permissions and see if that helps.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What folder are you trying to save your content to? The folder should have "Read & Write" privileges for your user. Right click the folder > Get Info. What does it list for your user under "Sharing & Permissions"?

OP
S
Reaction score
turns out the folder permissions don't have my username listed. the user who can read & write is "nobody". i don't know where this user came from. when manually changing permissions on each folder, the problem resolves.

but how can i change permissions for the entire computer? my hard drive permissions are correct, but this doesn't seem to allow me write access to all folders...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You don't - that's not how OS X (and Unix in general) works. You should only be saving files to your user directory. Unix (which OS X is built on) is designed this way to provide better security.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.