Big difference in i5 or i7 processor on Macbook Air?

Reaction score
Looking at purchasing a Macbook Air. I noticed there is an upgrade you can get to a 1.8ghz i7 processor. Would I really notice any difference if I was just doing web, email, light spreadsheets and docs, listening to music, watching movies.....i.e. nothing to processor intensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
would you notice it off the bat, probably not. Would I? Yes.

Keep this in mind - with the MBA, you cannot upgrade anything after the purchase. Buy the best you can afford (wait an extra month if you have to). There is not HD to replace, no memory in slots, everything is soldered to the board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
Having one myself, probably not. That said, I can say that the higher clock speed is going to be a benefit as time goes on and future systems require more from the processor. I don't care for the term "future proofing" but if it makes a purchase you were already considering a bit easier on the mind it isn't a bad thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
I'd say skip the upgrade and purchase the Apple Care protection. From reviews and my personal experience (I have the 1.7), you aren't going to notice any difference in processor speed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.