minimum space needed to run Windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 iMac 27" i7 - iPAD 16gb - Mac mini G4 - ATV3
I am looking at purchasing a refurbished iMac i7 with a 256ssd drive. I need to run Windows due to all of the MS software and the job I have and was wondering how much disk space would need to be allocated to run Parallels and Windows 7 Enterprise? Thanks.

-----------------
Joe t

Reaction score
I dedicated 40gigs to mine and it is enough. if all your going to do with the windows side is Documents that should be more than enough. if your going to play games you might want to increase that by double. GL with the new iMac

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
According to the Parallels guide, the typical size for a Windows VM is 32GB. This hard drive will be saved in "expanding format" which, if anything like the dynamically allocated option in VirtualBox, means that the disk file will only be as big as it needs to be up to 32GB (or whatever size you choose). In other words, the file on your disk that represents the Windows machine won't be 32GB but will be as big as it needs to be to accommodate the Windows install and any other files you add to the VM. You can think of it as a "growing" hard drive file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.