iMac does not see external data hdd

Reaction score
iMac does not see (in Disk Utilities) an external data hdd taken out of my old MacBook laptop. Any idea as to what I can do. Indicator light, on case I installed hdd into, is "on" showing there is power to it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you using the correct carrier case to place the hard drive into from your MacBook? If the drive was removed from a MacBook it has to be a SATA drive. That means the carrier case likewise has to support a SATA drive.

OP
H
Reaction score
Person at "Genius Bar" wrote what kind of case to get. when I finally got iMac to see the seagate 120gb hdd. disk utility gave me an error message of Partition map check failed because no slices were found." Can not find out on Apple web site what error means. Any suggestions????? Do not want to format till I get some pictures off of hdd...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like the partition map (table) on the drive is munged. Which means the data is there but you can't get at it. How important are the photos? If they're important enough, you can try data recovery software or try to repair the drive with more sophisticated software. Both expensive, however.

Data Rescue 3

Disk Warrior

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.