Will jbidder (snipe eBay bidding tool) work if my Mac is "display sleep"?

Reaction score
Hello! New mac user here and I am very impressed with my Mac it is so much better than I thought it was going to be, and I had high hopes to begin with!

However I have become confused, I have a problem and I do hope some one can help me.

I use jbidder, snipe. It is a program that allows me to plan bids on eBay sorta.
Anyway my Mac falls asleep if I leave it for 15minutes, therefore jbidder can't do it's job.

I located engery saver options and made it so "computer sleep" is set to never. However there is also an option called "display sleep", what does this do? It is currently set to 15minutes, so when 15 minutes is up and it makes my mac sleep but what is it actually doing? Is jbidder still working in the background? Do I still have A Internet connection?

I could set display sleep to never and I assume I would deffinently have no possible problems(jbidder would not loose connection or stop running or whatever) however If my Mac is going to be on throughout the night or day I would like there to be somesort of engery saving thing but background programs still need to be able to run if that makes sense.
(I want to save energy to look after my Mac because leaving it on 24:7 with no sleep mode or whatever would shorten it's life span?)

Thanks for reading

Oh and when it display sleeps it also requires me to type my password into the Mac I don't know if this means it has logged me out of my pc (on and windows pc if you log out your background programs stop running?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
What "Display Sleep" does is just turn of the power to the screen.
The OS, internet, etc will still continue to function as if the screen were on so no worries there.

The display sleep password can be turned off in the "Security & Privacy" section of the System Preferences.
All it does is lock the screen so that people that aren't supposed to use your Mac can't, it doesn't stop any processes or anything if you have Computer Sleep turned off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.