Keyboard not working, left click behaves like right click

Reaction score
Hey, i have a problem. My macbook air was completely alright when i was using it in the evening. I shut it down, went to bed and then i woke up in the morning, turned on my laptop and all of the sudden, the keyboard didnt work. Also, when i left clicked the trackpad, it behaved like when i do right click(the window with i.e. "copy, save as.." popped up). BUT EVERYTHING else was/is working like a charm. It feels like the laptop is completely okay, just the keyboard and trackpad are not working. This happend like a month ago. I took it to my local Apple Service Provider, and they diagnosed it as water damage(altough there is no possibility i spilled water on it/somebody spilled water on it). They sent me some pictures. The only part showing some damage is a little place, right where the mag safe connector connects to the laptop. Its maybe an inch by inch big. Aparently, they want me to pay 1000€(1300dollars) so they can fix it. They want to change the whole motherboard, in order to fix this one little piece of it. I would not say a word if the computer was dead or had some other main damage, but i think its ridiculous to pay 1000€(i can buy brand new macbook air for this price) just to pay for the keyboard/trackpad repair. Also, i tried to connect my magic mouse to it and it does the same thing. When i do left click, it actually does right click.
PLEASE help me, or tell me if its really neccessary to remove and change the WHOLE motherboard or if its reasonable to pay that price for this repair.(I live in Czech Republic, where those repair guys would tell me anything to get money. So i dont really believe them, its a water damage because i didnt spill any water on it) And if you have any suggestions what else could be the problem, i would be glad if you shared them with me.
These are the pictures of the broken/damaged piece:
http://i39.tinypic.com/ms0z2s.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/2zxnnnd.jpg

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It does look like corrosion has formed on the receptor part to the MagSafe connector. It may not have been from a spill but from humidity. Although it's going to be difficult to convince the Apple repair provider otherwise.

I'm not sure what recourse you have there in the Czech Republic, but changing out an entire logic board is probably what the Apple service repair would do here in the States also. You may wind up having to live with the problem.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

OP
R
Reaction score
It does look like corrosion has formed on the receptor part to the MagSafe connector. It may not have been from a spill but from humidity. Although it's going to be difficult to convince the Apple repair provider otherwise.

I'm not sure what recourse you have there in the Czech Republic, but changing out an entire logic board is probably what the Apple service repair would do here in the States also. You may wind up having to live with the problem.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thank you for your reply. Yeah, i doubt im going to convince them that its not from spill but from humidity or whatever else. But why arent keyboard and trackpad working when there is a corrosion on the receptor part to the magsafe connector?
Idk if its just me but isnt 1000EUR repair kinda overpriced? I mean, seriously, i can buy a brand new MBA for this price. I dont know what should i do, everybody is encouraging to sell this laptop for parts and buy a new one. But honestly, i dont want to, why would i sell it if its still functional? I can even do some stuff on it, unless i dont have to use keyboard. Thats why i refuse to pay that much, i would not say a THING if my MBA was dead. Like dead dead. Not keyboard-not-working-dead. Understand what im trying to say? That would be reasonable price for what would be needed to fix.
Also i forgot to mention, trackpad works just fine right after i turn the laptop on. It takes like 2-3minutes for it to stop working properly. Any ideas why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Thank you for your reply. Yeah, i doubt im going to convince them that its not from spill but from humidity or whatever else. But why arent keyboard and trackpad working when there is a corrosion on the receptor part to the magsafe connector?
Idk if its just me but isnt 1000EUR repair kinda overpriced? I mean, seriously, i can buy a brand new MBA for this price. I dont know what should i do, everybody is encouraging to sell this laptop for parts and buy a new one. But honestly, i dont want to, why would i sell it if its still functional? I can even do some stuff on it, unless i dont have to use keyboard. Thats why i refuse to pay that much, i would not say a THING if my MBA was dead. Like dead dead. Not keyboard-not-working-dead. Understand what im trying to say? That would be reasonable price for what would be needed to fix.
Also i forgot to mention, trackpad works just fine right after i turn the laptop on. It takes like 2-3minutes for it to stop working properly. Any ideas why?

Selling it for parts and buying a new one does sound like the best option to me personally. It's not actually still functional if the keyboard doesn't work and the trackpad is not working correctly. And also as you said before, you can buy a brand new MBA for the price of the repair.

Reaction score
I have the same exact problem

My Macbook suddenly decided to act in the same way as described by the OP (probably because of humidity or a spill), except that it seems to work normally when connect it to an external keyboard. I am currently using it as a clamshell pseudo imac with an external keyboard, mouse and monitor. Do you guys think it is necessary for me to rush to the apple store asap? I don't mind the status quo and I am scared that the apple store might make things worse for me; but do you think that I might have further problems?.

Thanks
S

Reaction score
My wife's (recent) MacBook Air just developed these symptoms overnight. No water damage. She's been onto Apple Support about it & I think they thought they had it sorted, but today it's doing the same thing again. To me this seems clearly a software issue, not hardware... No solution yet ...

Reaction score
It turns out that the CTRL key was physically stuck down. Butterfly keyboards are a bit fragile. So I gently wiggled the key until it rose & the laptop is fine now. Which is good news, although I wish the keyboards weren't so fragile (and obviously I was wrong about saying earlier I thought this was software-related)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
That's a very very good point - thanks for pointing that out. The CTRL key seems basically stuffed so it's worth us getting the keyboard sorted

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.