• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

FCP Rendering Issue

Reaction score
So I'm trying to figure out why a FCP project renders quickly on the computer I usually work on, but MUCH slower when I bring it to another Mac. The entire project is saved to an external LaCie drive and brought to another Mac. But when the project is loaded, and all the clips are connected, everything needs to be rendered and renders painfully slow. All the render settings seem to match on both Macs. I understand that if I work off the external hard drive it will be slower... however even if I do this on the computer I normally work on the render speeds are still much faster than on the Mac in question.

Can anyone add any insight to these render issues? Why so slow and why does everything have to be renderd again on the second Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Difficult to give you any clues without having the full specifications of both Macs (processors, ram, HD, SSD, OS, external drive interface etc) or indeed which version of FCP.

Are you definately taking the render files over on the external drive? Are the settings in Render Manager identical?

OP
K
Reaction score
Here's what I know office hand... both versions of FCP are version 7. Main Mac is a newer Quad Core tower running Snow Leopard.. second Mac is an older MacBook Pro also running Snow leopard... all render settings seems to be the same howeveri j would have to confirm that. As far as the projects goes the entire project is saved in a folder along with all the captures, renders, graphics files, etc.

What should I be looking for that might cause this issue?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.