• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HELP: New iMac vs Mac Pro for HD video editing... what to buy...

Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time reader first time writer (etc. etc.).

I've just pursuaded work to upgrade our computer to better suit the large amount of HD video editing I'm doing (marketing department, I'm the 'media' guy).

The problem is I'm not really sure what the best set up is. I'm quite well informed/experienced when it comes to the software, how to use it and so on, but in terms of the hardware and 'how everything works behind the scenes, I don't really have a clue.

So basically: do I buy the new iMac or a Mac Pro.

Either way, my budget is about the same; I could possibly/probably get close to €3,000 ($3,800 ish) budgeted for this. So we're talking a pretty fancy set-up, which is why it's even more important I get it right!

Currently I'm using Final Cut Pro 7 on a Power Mac G5 and while it does the job, it's kind of breaking my heart.

(I've got the new MacBook Pro at home with Adobe Premiere).

So yeah, I film on the Canon 550d and use the Zoom H1 (with a radio mic)
for audio. Will probably stick with Final Cut for this new computer set up...

... so the only real decision is: New iMac or Mac Pro?

Since I'm spending the same money either way the main considerations are 'value' and 'future-proofing'. No one here's going to be opening up the machine and customizing/upgrading it though. So it's 'future-proofing' in the sense of staying power as opposed to being upgradable.

Ok, now I'm just rambling so I'll finish up.

(I'm relatively Mac illiterate in terms of product names and specs etc. so apologies if any of the above is wrongly named or incorrect... Pretty sure I've got everything corrrectly named though... and captured the general jist of the issue anyway.)

Cheers

C

chas_m

I really wish I could see into the near future and know what Apple's planning (if anything) for Mac Pros so I could properly advise you.

At this particular moment in time I must recommend an iMac. I don't mean to sound like I'm hesitant about this ... it's a completely awesome machine ... I'm just afraid that you'll take this suggestion, buy the iMac and then THE NEXT DAY Apple will come out with a new Mac Pro. :)

If for no other reason than the massive amount of storage it can contain, the Mac Pro is really the better choice -- or was until its processor got bypassed by the Core iX line used in iMacs.

There is a LOT of reason to believe Apple will (at some point) upgrade the Mac Pro to a newer, more powerful processor, add Thunderbolt and a half-dozen other tune-ups that would make it a killer workstation. Problem is we have no idea when (or even if) they will do that. It's been YEARS since the Mac Pro got a serious revamp (a testament to the brilliance of its original design, but still).

The iMac has more than enough power to do what you're asking, though, and costs a fraction of the money. Maybe you could persuade them to put the remainder of the budget aside for a better machine in a year or two and get an iMac now?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is a LOT of reason to believe Apple will (at some point) upgrade the Mac Pro to a newer, more powerful processor, add Thunderbolt and a half-dozen other tune-ups that would make it a killer workstation. Problem is we have no idea when (or even if) they will do that. It's been YEARS since the Mac Pro got a serious revamp (a testament to the brilliance of its original design, but still).

And then there is the rumor that keeps popping up that Apple intends to discontinue the Mac Pro line. But overall, I agree with chas.

Reaction score
If you are editing with Adobe Premiere Pro, I'd buy the biggest baddest Mac Pro and pony up for an NVIDIA Quadro 4000. Crank it full of 3rd party RAM and you're sitting pretty.

Go the iMac route and you can still run Premiere Pro, but with no CUDA acceleration. FCP X will run well on that machine too. Don't forget ample RAM.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Cheers guys,

I think I'll go down the iMac route so. I'd love to stall and see what happens with the Mac Pro range but the sooner I upgrade the system here the better.

The iMac will be leaps and bounds ahead of our current set up, and as I said, I don't think I'm really informed enough to 'feel' the potential power that I may be missing when comparing the iMac to a Mac Pro once I get into using the new machine.

I'll keep you posted with what I end up with.

Everyone's help was greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.